Morning Sixpack: A News Roundup
- The Emptying Sky Both LAX and LA/Ontario airports are experiencing substantial decreases in their numbers of travelers, despite a wave of fare reductions. L.A. Times
- Freeway With a View Rows of noise-break trees have been cut down by the side of the 405 Freeway in Sherman Oaks, and by an apartment complex by the 10 Freeway. Suspicions have fallen on the World Wide Rush billboard company, since the only people to benefit from the clearings, view-wise, are motorists -- who are now treated to two of the company's Tropicana Juice billboards. L.A. Daily News
- Michael Jackson Loses Suit An appeals court has ruled against the King of Pop and in favor of the Torrance law firm that once represented him in civil matters. Ayscough & Marar is suing to recoup nearly half a million dollars in unpaid fees and court costs. Daily Breeze
Echo Park Students to Get Roommate -- A Charter School Logan Street Elementary will be forced to share space with the Gabriella Charter School, thanks to declining enrollment in the public school. The Eastsider L.A.
- Die Hard Director Yanks Guilty Plea U.S. District Judge Dale S. Fischer, who presided over the two Anthony Pellicano trials, has allowed director John McTiernan to withdraw his 2006 guilty plea -- and $100,000 fine and four-month prison term -- of lying to the FBI about his relationship with the wiretapping private eye. Associated Press
- Skid Row's Digital Divide Residents of downtown SROs have found themselves ineligible for coupons that will defray the cost of analog-to-digital converter boxes that will be needed when aerials become obsolete this year. Downtown News
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Why Is L.A. Such a Sad Place for Valentine's Day?
- L.A.'s Top Tech Guru Is Preparing for the Bubble to Burst
- 7 New Czars We Should Hire Right Now to Whip L.A. Into Shape