Morning Sixpack: A News Roundup
- Obama's Man in El Sereno Political newcomer Emanuel Pleitez, who's served on Barack Obama's transition team, is shaking things up in the 32nd District Congressional race. L.A. Times
- Mortgage Black Hole Located Ground zero for the nation's catastrophic mortgage meltdown was 4500 Park Granada, Calabasas. That's the address of sub-prime loan specialists Countrywide. L.A. Daily News
Altadena: Three Shootings Within One Day, One Mile An outburst of three shooting incidents has left one dead and one wounded. San Gabriel Valley Tribune
- Dems Eye GOP Bastion For the first time in memory the High Desert's 25th Congressional District may be slipping away from Republicans, whose presidential candidate, John McCain, lost there to Barack Obama in 2008. Antelope Valley Press
- Photo Finish The very last photographs taken of Marilyn Monroe when she was alive will be auctioned by jazz pianist Buddy Greco. Snapped in Nevada five days before her death, the six pictures are all that remain of an original roll of 36 images -- after the others, kept in a World Trade Center vault, were destroyed in 9/11. The Independent, UK
46 Games Until Manny Returns The L.A. Dodgers continue to play well without disgraced superstar Manny Ramirez, but have still lost three of their last four games since the leftfielder was suspended for performance enhancement drug use. L.A. Times
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Should Obama Deny Funding for Secretive LAPD Body Cams?
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 8:00pm
Sun., Sep. 6, 12:35pm
Sun., Sep. 6, 1:00pm
- Olympian Rhetoric Heralds a New Phase for a "Back to Basics" Mayor
- A Watts Redevelopment Project Continues to Get the Shaft, and City Councilman Buscaino...