Man Who Shot, Ran Over Victim Beaten to the Ground at a Hollywood Club Is Convicted
Robert Earl Thomas III was convicted this week of murder for shooting a man outside the Empire Club in Hollywood last year.
Details of the grisly attack emerged in court: Prosecutors say the 23-year-old killer walked up to 19-year-old Andre Lowe and put two rounds in the back of his head after the victim had been beaten to the ground by Carver Park gang members or sympathizers.
Then Thomas got in an SUV and ran Lowe over:
Lowe's lifeless body was in the street when police arrived. Thomas was arrested in Las Vegas on Jan. 16, 2013, three days after the shooting.
According to a District Attorney's statement, here's what happened in the 2:05 a.m. violence in the parking lot of 1724 North Cahuenga Boulevard on Jan. 13, 2013:
The shooting, which was captured on videotape, happened as the victim and two friends walked to their car in the club's parking lot.
According to court testimony, a man claiming to be a Carver Park gang member approached Lowe and his group. When someone in the group said they do not gang bang the man and others began assaulting them, the prosecutor said. Thomas walked up to the victim during the beating and shot him twice in the back of the head, the prosecutor added.
As the defendant tried to flee the scene in his Porsche Cayenne, he ran over Lowe's body, according to trial testimony.
A jury convicted Thomas yesterday. He faces up to 50 years behind bars when he's sentenced Sept. 2.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.