Los Angeles Mirror: What People Say About Us
What was it Oscar Wilde -- oh, never mind. Something about not being talked about. Whatever. Here's a roundup of recent quotes about Los Angeles, as others see it, our Land of Hope and Failure.
- "Living in Los Angeles, I really miss those days where it feels
almost . . . it just goes black in the middle of the day. It's like a summer
snow day--you can play hookie. Fuck the beach; let's go to the movies."
(Interview with Shudder to Think singer Craig Wedren in NY Press)
- "I've never had a huge desire to visit Los Angeles, but seeing as it's the second biggest city in the country and home to the mighty Trojans, I figure a visit is in order." (RollBamaRoll, a University of Alabama blog)
- "But he found Los Angeles uncongenial and after 18 months or so returned to England having failed to get established." (from London Times' obituary of screenwriter James Doran)
- "When Jews lived in Vienna and Budapest early in the century, these cities of the Hapsburg Empire were world centers of intellectual activity and economic growth . . . When Jews came to New York and Los Angeles, those cities towered over the global economy and culture." (George Gilder, "Silicon Israel," City Journal)
- "Spread is a skin-deep glance askance at the City of Skin Deep -- Los Angeles, "where all the beautiful little heartbreakers go to live and dream," narrates its hero. (Film review, Colorado Springs Gazette)
- "Life in Los Angeles is dynamic but my heart remains in Edinburgh." (Cold Case actress Louise Linton interview in the Edinburgh News)
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.