L.A.'s 9/11 Observances
Today's 9/11 observances will be a mix of traditional memorials and inaugurations of community service projects. Here are some notable public events, culled from City News Service.
- 9 a.m.: Monterey Park's Patriot Day ceremony offers speeches, patriotic music and a bell-ringing ceremony at City Hall, 320 W. Newmark Ave. (626) 307-1388.
- 10:30 a.m.: Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and L.A. Fire Department officials participate in a memorial service at the LAFD's training center, 1700 Stadium Way, Elysian Park.
- 6:30 p.m.: A short ceremony is scheduled at the 9/11 Memorial Fountain at L.A. Fire Department Station 88, 5101 Sepulveda Blvd., Sherman Oaks.
- Daylong: Pepperdine University will, for one week, display nearly 3,000 flags representing each of the people who died in the terrorist attacks eight years ago. Theme Tower lawn, 24255 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu. (310) 506-4000
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Film Students Arrested After Display of Prop Guns Shuts Down 101 Frwy
Wed., Dec. 2, 7:30pm
Thu., Dec. 3, 6:00pm
Fri., Dec. 4, 7:00pm
Sat., Dec. 5, 1:00pm
- What Does Hamburg Know About the Olympics That Los Angeles Doesn't?
- Why Charter School Teachers Are Split on Unionization