Joe Torre Book Clips Yankees
Call it another front in the N.Y. versus L.A. war, but now Los Angeles Dodger manager Joe Torre has launched a salvo against his former team, the New York Yankees. In an Associated Press story picked up by NBC Sports/MSNBC and other sources, Torre's new book, The Yankee Years, spills the dirt on:
- Celebrity slugger Alex Rodriguez (dubbed "A-Fraud" by resentful teammates) who, Torre says, developed an obsession over shortstop Derek Jeter.
- The Yankees' all-controlling owner, George Steinbrenner, who already knew of Torre's prostate cancer diagnosis before Torre himself heard the news from doctors. (See N.Y. Post review.)
- Team general manager Brian Cashman, whom Torre regarded as an ally, only to feel betrayed by him in the end, when the Yankees offered Torre a humiliating one-year contract at reduced pay -- after he brought the Yankees to six pennants and four World Series victories in a dozen seasons.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Kabbalah Centre and Its Former Rabbi to the Stars to Pay $177,500 in Sexual Battery Suit
- Bicycle Is Returned to Child, but Alleged Bully Bike Thief Is Still On the Loose
- Thanksgiving Travelers Will Enjoy Lowest Gas Prices Since Early 2009