Ian 'Tony' Roderiquez, Dad of Five, Arrested for Family Murder-Torture Massacre in Southern California Desert
Updated after the jump: Roderiquez' torture tools included a monkey wrench and shards of glass.
Five children and their mother were removed from their Merita Avenue home yesterday on gurneys, having just lived through a bloody, never-ending murder-torture scene fit only for the most twisted horror film.
Actually, one child did not make it out alive: 15-year-old Richard Roderiquez, who neighbors say never got along well with his father, Ian Anthony Roderiquez (known around the desert community as Tony).
From what San Bernardino Sheriff's Department officials gather...
... the suspect went on a psychotic rampage Wednesday morning, killing Richard and attempting to murder the rest of the family -- torturing them all with two unidentified weapons/tools to the point where they were unrecognizable [Riverside Press-Enterprise].
Sheriff's spokeswoman Jodi Miller says she's never seen anything like it.
Tony was a scary man, his neighbors told the Press-Enterprise, with a drinking problem, a tendency to talk to himself and "that look like he was losing it." The Roderiquez children would allegedly come around asking for food -- though their father discouraged it.
From the story:
Deputies were summoned to the single-story, grey-and-cream-colored stucco house when a neighborhood resident called 911 saying that a man was screaming for help.
When they arrived they found Ian Roderiquez inside the house [wearing sweats and white T-shirt], and he talked to deputies through a front window, Miller said. After a short while he came outside and was taken for questioning by detectives. Deputies discovered the rest of the family as they searched the house.
Neighbor Sofia Symeou indicated the torture could have begun as early as 7 a.m., when she heard Tony "cursing and yelling about being 'held against his will' and someone taking the batteries out of his cell phone."
But, as this was not abnormal behavior, Symeou left for work. When she returned, she found herself at the perimeter of what looked to be a full-on family massacre: The victims were rolled out by paramedics, one by one, covered in blood and swollen like they'd been attacked by a swarm of bees.
The Sheriff's Department is staying pretty hush-hush about the whole thing, but have charged Tony with one count of murder, five counts of attempted murder and six counts of torture.
The suspect's wife, 35-year-old Sujal Roderiquez, is in the most critical condition, but Miller says she's made "slight improvements" since yesterday. Ten-year-old Daniella and 8-year-old Yasmine were released yesterday evening and placed in the care of Children and Family Services. Thirteen-year-old Gabriel and 12-year-old Jacob are still in the hospital.
Tony will appear in court at 8 a.m. tomorrow morning.
Update: According to the Associated Press, Tony's surviving family members told police he beat them with a monkey wrench and forced them to walk on broken glass.
From the AP report:
The San Bernardino Sun says Ian Roderiquez accused family members of stealing his drugs during last week's ordeal.
Family members told police that the 35-year-old Roderiquez also stabbed family members and threatened to set them on fire.
Update: Here's an ABC7 video of Roderiquez in court, where he's pleading "not guilty" to all charges:
Originally posted March 24 at 5 p.m.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Valentine's Weekend DUI Checkpoints Hit Hollywood, Koreatown
Thu., Feb. 18, 7:30pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 2:00pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 6:00pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 7:30pm
- Watch the Porter Ranch Gas Leak Get Shut Down (VIDEO)
- Teen Raver Died From Ecstasy Intoxication, Coroner Says