Hollywood Club Continues to Operate as an Outlaw, Prosecutors Say

Hollywood Club Continues to Operate as an Outlaw, Prosecutors Say
File photo of supperclub by Danielle Bacher/L.A. Weekly

The saga of Hollywood's rebellious supperclub continued this week as city prosecutors said the bottle-service venue "continued to violate multiple conditions of the zoning code," according to a statement.

The club's troubles started in 2012 when Los Angeles Fire Department inspectors temporarily shut it down. They alleged that, on one night, 1,074 patrons were inside the 553-capacity party spot.

LAFD authorities also said supperclub hosted an illegal fireworks display, used bedding as seating, featured a trapeze artist swinging over an "overcrowded" dance floor and maintained "several blocked exits and propped open fire doors," according to the city attorney's statement.

In 2013 the venue pleaded no contest to allegations of overcrowding, use of open flame, use of a structure without a permit, illegal wiring, maintaining obstructed exits and improper storage of combustible materials, prosecutors said.

That triggered three years' worth of probation and $2,000 in fines, plus penalties, prosecutors said. But the office of City Attorney Mike Feuer this week said this dude did not abide.

In June LAFD inspectors witnessed "multiple ongoing municipal code violations in violation of the business's conditional use permit," the city attorney's statement says.

"Alleged violations include allowing long lines outside, smoking on the premises, alcohol service in nonpermitted areas, failing to remove unapproved structures on the property and blocking open exits," the office stated.

We reached out to our previous contacts for the club, which stands at 6675 Hollywood Blvd., but could not find anyone to comment. A publicist said he stopped representing the venue last year.

When the club was hit with the original case that alleged fire-code violations and "life safety hazards," the story was covered in local media. But supperclub singled out L.A. Weekly's reporting and penned a bizarre defense that didn't address the allegations directly.

"All our curtains and soundproof material are class 1/A fire retardant," the venue stated in a press release. "Building a brand-new venue in Hollywood, our sprinkler and fire extinguishing systems are up to code with the Los Angeles Fire Department and gets routine checkups by the service provider."

(We noted that it wasn't a brand-new venue but rather a reincarnation of the Vogue Theater on Hollywood Boulevard.)

This week Feuer said that it's important to keep destinations in the Hollywood Entertainment District safe and legit.

"Hollywood's Entertainment District has a vibrant and thriving nightlife," Feuer said. "To keep it that way, all venues must comply with laws designed to protect their patrons and the broader public. Our office will continue to hold establishments accountable if they violate the law."

The club is scheduled to face a judge for a probation violation hearing Oct. 20.


Sponsor Content

Newsletters

All-access pass to the top stories, events and offers around town.

  • Top Stories
    Send:

Newsletters

All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >