Hard Summer Fest Attendee Died of Ecstasy Overdose, Coroner Rules
Hard Summer via Timothy Norris for L.A. Weekly
A teenager who died after she attended the Hard Summer festival in August succumbed to an ecstasy overdose, the L.A. County Department of Coroner ruled this month.
Despite a common misperception in the rave scene that MDMA deaths are caused mostly by adulterated pills, toxicology tests turned up no other drugs in the system of 19-year-old Emily Tran, Capt. John Kades told L.A. Weekly today.
The official cause of death, he said, was listed as ...
... "acute MDMA intoxication."
Organizers said the teen from Anaheim had seizures at the two-day, DJ-driven festival before passing away at a hospital.
The coroner's office recorded her death as occurring at 5:40 a.m. Aug. 4 at Greater El Monte Community Hospital.
"Our thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends," Hard said in a statement following the revelation of Tran's death in August.
It was the second death in two years for Hard, the first of which involved a young man who died of natural causes.
The event was held this year at Whittier Narrows Recreation Area, which might not be welcoming the party back next summer.
Timothy Norris for L.A. Weekly
UCLA Bruins Women's Basketball vs. Arizona State Sundevils Womens Basketball
TicketsFri., Jan. 27, 8:00pm
UCLA Bruins Women's Basketball vs. Arizona Wildcats Womens Basketball
TicketsSun., Jan. 29, 2:00pm
Anaheim Ducks v. Colorado Avalanche
TicketsTue., Jan. 31, 7:00pm
Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets - Verified Resale Tickets
TicketsTue., Jan. 31, 7:30pm
Many in the rave scene, apparently inspired by the pill-testing organization DanceSafe, believe that ecstasy deaths are caused by adulterated MDMA.
But in all the ecstasy deaths we've covered over the years, never has a coroner's report concluded that an adulterant was to blame.
In some cases multiple-drug use was blamed, however, but never so-called "bad ecstasy." Molly has killed, time and again, often all on its own.
Here are some stories to consider:
*10 Raver Deaths in 5 Years: Ecstasy Often Blamed
*Brent Shapiro’s Final Hours
*'EDC' Raver Teen Sasha Rodriguez Died From Ecstasy Use
*Emily McCaughan, EDC Vegas Raver Who Fell to Her Death, Had Ecstasy, GHB in Her System
*EDC Vegas Raver Anthony Anaya Died of Ecstasy, Cocaine, Alcohol
*EDC Vegas Raver Montgomery Tsang Died From an Ecstasy Overdose
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.