Government Lawsuit Against EDC Rave Promoter a FAIL

Government Lawsuit Against EDC Rave Promoter a FAIL
EDC 2013 via Christopher Victorio for OC Weekly

The L.A. Coliseum Commission will regroup next week to consider its options after a local judge basically threw out its civil lawsuit against rave promoters who organized parties at the Coliseum and its sister venue, the L.A. Sports Arena.

The suit named promoters Pasquale Rotella of Insomniac and Reza Gerami of Go Ventures as well as ex-Coliseum events manager Todd DeStefano, accusing them of bilking the public venues out of hundreds of thousands of dollars in an alleged kickback scheme that had, the suit says, promoters paying DeStefano under the table.

Parts of the suit were thrown out last year. And now L.A. Superior Court Judge Terry A. Green threw out the filing's remaining seven claims.

But ... the judge said the Coliseum Commission, the public body that runs the venues, could amend its complaint by July 31, according to Law360.

Coliseum general manager John Sandbrook told the Weekly the Coliseum Commission plans to discuss what to do during its next meeting.

"There is no comment until discussion with the Coliseum Commission next Wednesday," he said.

Government Lawsuit Against EDC Rave Promoter a FAIL
EDC 2013 by Christopher Victorio for OC Weekly.

It could be good news for rave promoters essentially kicked out of the venues after it was discovered that DeStefano was allegedly taking payments from them for his managerial expertise, cash that the suits says should have gone to the Coliseum.

The promoters and DeStefano are still under criminal indictment for basically the same allegations. The three deny the allegations and say the payments were for legit, freelance services DeStefano performed on his own time.

See also: Rave Promoters Reza Gerami, Pasquale Rotella Plead Not Guilty in Coliseum Corruption Case.

The indictment, including allegations of conspiracy, embezzlement and bribery, accuses the promoters of plying DeStefano with cash with the understanding that their parties would go on unmolested by Coliseum officials at the venues.

Following this Coliseum raves scandal in 2010 and 2011 the festivals were shut out of the public venues. With USC taking over management of the Coliseum it doesn't look like they'll return, but in a recent tweet Rotella said he wouldn't rule out a Southern California comeback at another venue.

His wildly successful Electric Daisy Carnival moved from the Coliseum to Las Vegas in 2011 and has since seen 100,000-a-day crowds for three days at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway each June.

See also: The Best and Worst of Electric Daisy Carnival.

Send feedback and tips to the author. Follow Dennis Romero on Twitter at @dennisjromero. Follow LA Weekly News on Twitter at @laweeklynews.

Sponsor Content


All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >