Eight South L.A. Middle School Students Get Ill After Eating Chocolate Possibly Laced With Marijuana
Eight South L.A. Middle School students passed a chocolate bar around, and all eight fell ill, according to the city fire department and district officials.
What was in it? A Los Angeles Unified School District spokeswoman said it possibly could have been marijuana, but the answer's not yet clear.
The incident was reported at George Washington Carver Middle Middle School (4410 S. McKinley Ave.) at 8:40 a.m, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Erik Scott.
Scott reported that it was possible the kids "ate marijuana brownies."
Los Angeles Clippers v San Antonio Spurs - Verified Resale Tickets
TicketsFri., Feb. 24, 7:30pm
CSUN Womens Basketball vs. Uc Riverside Highlanders Womens Basketball
TicketsSat., Feb. 25, 4:00pm
Los Angeles Lakers v San Antonio Spurs - Verified Resale Tickets
TicketsSun., Feb. 26, 12:30pm
Los Angeles Clippers v Charlotte Hornets - Verified Resale Tickets
TicketsSun., Feb. 26, 6:30pm
Los Angeles Unified School District spokesman Patrick Sinclair told the Weekly the culprit was actually a chocolate bar that one of the students said he purchased at a skateboarding shop before school.
The children "had accelerated heart rates and high blood pressure," Sinclair said. They were taken to County-USC Medical Center.
Scott said the kids, ages 11 to 13, were in "fair condition."
LAUSD sent two spokespeople to the school to handle media interest.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.