City Council Renews Grim Sleeper Serial Killer Reward
The Los Angeles City Council today renewed a reward for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the Grim Sleeper, the longest operating serial killer West of the Mississippi.
The $500,000 reward, introduced by Councilman Bernard Parks, whose district encompasses the kill zone, is the largest amount ever offered by the council. Parks was joined by Los Angeles Police Department detective Dennis Kilcoyne and the family members of two of the victims.
The reward, said Diana Ware at City Hall, is "the key to catching this person. I am sure someone out there knows something." Ware is the stepmother of Barbara Ware, who was found dead in an alleyway in January of 1987.
Councilman Bernard Parks and Diana Ware, stepmother of Grim Sleeper victim Barbara Ware
Porter Alexander, the father of victim Monique Alexander, told council members that the reward is necessary "so we can get this madness off the streets."
The original reward was offered last September when news broke in the LA Weekly
that a serial killer had been stalking mostly women in South Los Angeles
since 1985, but it was only authorized for six-months. The 11 victims,
including one male victim named Thomas Steele, were found in alleys
along a stretch of Western Avenue. The Grim Sleeper's last known victim
was 25-year-old Janecia Peters, who was found in a dumpster January 1, 2007, by a
homeless man looking for recyclables.
A 12th victim escaped after she was raped and shot.
Anyone with information is asked to call the 800 Task Force at 1-877-LAPD247.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.