Christopher Dorner's Facebook Account Searched As Part Of O.C. Murder Investigation
Ted Soqui for LA Weekly
The Orange County District Attorney's office today indicated that it searched Christopher Dorner's Facebook account, where his famous manifesto was said to have been posted, as part of the investigation into his alleged murder spree.
The office said it would have sought the death penalty against him because Dorner allegedly gunned down Monica Quan and Keith Lawrence in Irvine Feb. 3 and was "lying in wait" for them beforehand:
That "special circumstance," along with an allegation that he fired a weapon "causing death," would have made him eligible for a capital murder case.
The office explains:
These charges carry a minimum sentence of life in state prison without the possibility of parole. The OCDA would likely have sought the death penalty in this case.
Prosecutors say they prepared a criminal complaint on Feb. 8 that contained two murder counts and those special-circumstance allegations.
However, prosecutors said that "in the interest of public safety, and for tactical and investigative purposes" they waited to file charges until Dorner was taken into custody.
The D.A.'s office also revealed today that its investigators carried out ...
... multiple search warrants related to the investigation including the defendant's social networking pages, residences, and cell phones.
(We noticed that Dorner's Facebook page was taken down one week ago today).
On Feb. 6, only hours before Dorner's alleged ambush murder of a Riverside cop, a previously unknown warrant for the suspect's arrest in connection with the Irvine murders was approved by a judge, the office said.
The OCDA says its work isn't over and that its investigation and legal review of the alleged Dorner killing spree is "ongoing."
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.