Brent Shapiro, 19802005
The 24-year old son of renowned defense attorney Robert Shapiro died Monday of an apparent drug overdose, authorities said.
Brent Edward Shapiro, a USC student on the deans list, had been partying with friends at a residence near the Hollywood Bowl after Saturdays USC-Arizona football game. He became ill and was found in a comatose state at 7 a.m. Sunday. His friends called paramedics, who took him to Cedars-Sinai Hospital. At the hospital, Shapiros friends told emergency staff that he had taken the drug Ecstasy (also known as MDMA). He was pronounced dead at 4:30 p.m. Monday.
Blood tests at the hospital detected Ecstasy and methamphetamine. Ecstasy is a synthetic, psychoactive drug chemically similar to the stimulant methamphetamine and the hallucinogen mescaline. The Coroners Office will conduct toxicology tests, with results taking up to six weeks.
Mr. Shapiros death was sudden and unexpected, said Chief Craig Harvey of the county Coroners Office. Because Mr. Shapiros death was apparently caused by the ingestion of a substance and it was not due to natural causes, it made it a coroners case.
Robert Shapiro is most famous for being a member of O.J. Simpsons dream team, along with Johnnie Cochran. Shapiros clients have included Jose Canseco, Johnny Carson, Christian Brando and F. Lee Bailey. Shapiro is also the author of the New York Times best-seller The Search for Justice.
Funeral services for Brent Shapiro were held Wednesday at Stephen S. Wise Temple in L.A., with interment at Hillside Memorial Park and Mortuary. In addition to his father, Shapiro is survived by his mother, Linell, and a brother, Grant.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Hollywood Club Continues to Operate as an Outlaw, Prosecutors Say
- L.A. Officials Approve Raising Your Rent in the Name of Earthquake Safety
- The MTA is Sitting on $1.3 Million From Expired TAP Cards