50 'Wealthiest Angelenos' Worth $93 Billion
The Los Angeles Business Journal's annual list of 50 "Wealthiest Angelenos" hits the streets this week and, despite the economic doldrums hitting the Angel City elite, their net worth is up 14 percent to $93 billion. That's more than the worth of billionaires in some Western nations.
Players on the list lost $32 billion last year. Lon Morton, chief executive of investment adviser Morton Capital Management called 2010 a "return to normalcy." For the second year in a row,
KoreanSouth African-American biotech innovator Patrick Soon-Shiong topped the list:
According to the Huffington Post, the top 10 includes:
1) - Patrick Soon-Shiong, biotech entrepreneur (and the man who would resurrect Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital) ($7.1 billion).
2) - Kirk Kerkorian, investor ($6.3 million).
3) - Eli Broad, homebuilder, philanthropist ($5.9 billion).
4) - David Geffen, Hollywood mogul and beach-access liberator ($4.3 billion).
5) - Ron Burkle, grocery store magnate ($4 billion).
6) - Haim Saban, Hollywood mogul ($3.15 billion).
7) - Steven Spielberg, Hollywood mogul ($3.1 billion).
8) - Sumner Redstone, Hollywood mogul ($2.95 billion).
9) - David Murdock, agriculture, real estate ($2.9 billion).
10) - Jerrold Perenchio, broadcasting mogul ($2.6 billion).
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Labor Day DUI Crackdown Continues This Weekend
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 8:00pm
Sun., Sep. 6, 12:35pm
Sun., Sep. 6, 1:00pm
- Netflix Is Coming to Hollywood
- County Officials Inspected Kardashian Boat Before Fireworks, Coast Guard Says