5 Web Sites To Read, Hands Trembling, At 3 A.M.
1. debka.com. We start where the media stop. Only half of the ultraspooky stuff on this Israel-based intelligence e-zine, beloved by end-of-days fundamentalists, among others, will turn out to be true. The problem is figuring out which half.
2. guardian.co.uk. But only because the Brits are so much better at pretending they understand Tajik intelligence issues.
3. haaretzdaily.com. Bombing reports so prompt youd think theyd set off the things themselves, and unexpectedly sober analyses of war issues.
4. janes.com. Two parts Robb Report for the weapons-craving assistant deputy defense minister, mixed with one part snarky British impassiveness. Why, yes, war can seem a bit like a game of chess if you look at things that way.
5. nytimes.com. If only to read Barry Bearaks loving descriptions of the delicate play of mountain sunlight and purpling shadow on an injured mujahideens filthy, tattered wound dressing.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.