12-Year-Old Dies Playing 'Choking Game' In Santa Monica
Santa Monica police on Wednesday said they were investigating the "accidental death" of a 12-year-old boy who was believed to have been asphyxiated while playing "the choking game." The game sometimes played by pre-teens and teenagers has them explore how long they can go without air -- sometimes by choking, self-asphyxiation or simply holding one's breath -- before passing out.
Police responded to the medical emergency in the 800 block of 18th Street about 5:08 p.m. on April 20, said Sgt. Jay Trisler. The victim, whose name was not released because he's a juvenile, died two days later at a hospital.
"The Santa Monica Police Department is investigating this incident as an accidental death," Trisler stated. "Preliminary information reveals that the accidental death may have been as a result of the juvenile engaging in the 'choking Game.'"
Anyone with information about the boy's death was asked to call investigator Maury Sumlin at 310-458-8437, Sgt. Ira Rutan at 310-458-8959 or the SMPD's 24-hour line at 310-458-8495.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.