10 Things John Fleck Misses About L.A. When Hes Away
1. I miss my friends oh, fuck my friends. Its the sky I miss well, the sunsets. I usually see them from a freeway.
2. The sights and smells in Griffith Park on my daily bike rides up there. Especially from the eucalyptus trees and that licorice-smelling plant. Whats it called? Fennel!
3. Good radio I cant think of any place that beats ours. Especially Chris Douridas, when he does his thing.
4. The fact that I can make money in L.A. doing TV-film that supports my nonprofit performance arttheater work. I get to be an artist here. What a gift!
UCLA Bruins Men's Baseball v California Bears Baseball
TicketsSat., Mar. 25, 12:01am
Los Angeles Clippers v Utah JAzz - Verified Resale Tickets
TicketsSat., Mar. 25, 12:30pm
Los Angeles D-Fenders vs. Santa Cruz Warriors
TicketsSat., Mar. 25, 6:30pm
Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings - Verified Resale Tickets
TicketsSun., Mar. 26, 12:30pm
5. The Malibu Hindu Temple (1600 Las Virgenes Canyon Rd., Calabasas, 818-880-5552). You take your shoes off and go to the various shrines on the grounds and visit their levels. Every now and then they bathe all the deities. Its very peaceful and open to the public.
6. Driving with my moon roof open on a gorgeous night. It doesnt matter what time of year. Winter, spring I like them all, but Ive always enjoyed summer nights.
7. I appreciate my spacious digs here in Los Feliz (especially when Im in N.Y.) and having a pool to dip in on hot summer nights.
8. Some really good Mexican Food I usually get the señora combinations because I like to break those gender stereotypes. And you get an enchilada and a taco with them. El Chavo (4441 W. Sunset Blvd., Los Feliz, 323-664-0871) is pretty good and El Conquistador (3701 W. Sunset Blvd., Silver Lake, 323-666-5136) has the combination, too.
9. The beach, the mountains, the desert its a Nature Smorgasbord here! Its the desert in spring for the wildflowers and the mountains in the summer to get away from the heat.
10. Chinese Theater and the Marilyn, Elvis and Zorro impersonators out front. Some of these guys look like theyve been here a hundred years. I wonder what the pecking order is. Do they get paid? What if five Marilyns showed up would they fight? Maybe Ill be doing this in 10 years.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.