Top 10 Most WTF Band Names at SXSW
You'll be kicking up plenty of gravel waiting to see Cee Lo Green, Queens of the Stone Age and The Kills at this year's SXSW. Chances are, the lines will be much, much shorter for Go Back to the Zoo, Hungry Kids of Hungary, Amusement Parks on Fire or the dozens of other requisite oddly-named (as in arty farty, lost-in-the-American-translation or just plain silly) SXSW artists. It was a tough call -- the bands whose names include "gay" and "turtle" alone -- but we picked the top ten. Hey, don't get mad. We're not the ones calling ourselves Ham Sandwich.
10. Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson Norwegian emo rockers who clearly think Carol Brady was the real rock star of the bunch, and not Johnny Bravo, aka Greg Brady.
9. Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs One man (UK DJ Orlando Higginbottom), too many words.
8. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. Detroit electro-pop band, led by Joshua Epstein and Daniel Zott, not sponsored by NASCAR.
7. Shilpa Ray and Her Happy Hookers Pimpin' ain't easy for singer Ray and her N.Y. group, whose current album, Teenage and Torture, includes the single "Venus Shaver."
6. Tiger! Shit! Tiger! Tiger! Italian! Indie! Trio! Trio!
5. Spermbirds And it's filled with boot-in-your-face German hardcore.
4. Butts Totally ass-inine name for two Seattle punk chicks.
3. Uncle Bad Touch Folk/rock trio from Montreal with a lot of repressed childhood memories.
2. Nid & Sancy "The original Electropunk couple" of Belgium's Bart Demey and Tania Gallagher no doubt inspired by the original punk couple.
1. Gay for Johnny Depp Brooklyn metal/punk act whose current album, What Doesn't Kill You, Eventually Kills You, includes such songs as "Suckcess," "Nine Inch Males (Born to Hate)," and "Cum On Feel the Boize."
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.