Top 10 Cover Songs of 2010
A good cover song is hard to find. Few musicians can pull them off well. There's a delicate balance between staying true to the original while exploring the possibilities of where the song can go. If you play too close to the original, however, then the song is just an imitation. And not all imitation is flattery. But this year, we heard a few really outstanding cover songs that took a funny, interesting, or bizarre twist on the original. From Brazilian actors covering German electro to English popsters taking on singers with very truthful hips, we give you ten great covers from 2010.
10. Das Racist - Sabotage (Beastie Boys)
9. Say Hi - Kiss Off (Violent Femmes)
8. Amanda Palmer - Idioteque (Radiohead)
7. Cee-Lo - No One's Gonna Love You (Band Of Horses)
6. Peter Gabriel - My Body Is A Cage (Arcade Fire)
5. Seu Jorge And Almaz - The Model (Kraftwerk)
4. Warpaint - Ashes to Ashes (David Bowie)
3. Hot Chip - She Wolf (Shakira)
2. How To Dress Well - I Wish (R. Kelly)
And the Number 1 cover song of 2010 is...
1. Black Keys - Never Gonna Give You Up (Jerry Butler)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.