A good cover song is hard to find. Few musicians can pull them off well. There's a delicate balance between staying true to the original while exploring the possibilities of where the song can go. If you play too close to the original, however, then the song is just an imitation. And not all imitation is flattery. But this year, we heard a few really outstanding cover songs that took a funny, interesting, or bizarre twist on the original. From Brazilian actors covering German electro to English popsters taking on singers with very truthful hips, we give you ten great covers from 2010.
10. Das Racist - Sabotage (Beastie Boys)
9. Say Hi - Kiss Off (Violent Femmes)
8. Amanda Palmer - Idioteque (Radiohead)
7. Cee-Lo - No One's Gonna Love You (Band Of Horses)
6. Peter Gabriel - My Body Is A Cage (Arcade Fire)
5. Seu Jorge And Almaz - The Model (Kraftwerk)
4. Warpaint - Ashes to Ashes (David Bowie)
3. Hot Chip - She Wolf (Shakira)
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
2. How To Dress Well - I Wish (R. Kelly)
And the Number 1 cover song of 2010 is...
1. Black Keys - Never Gonna Give You Up (Jerry Butler)