This is the One Insane Clown Posse Cover Story You Really Need To Read
Insane Clown Posse: Exclusive interview for LA Weekly
The LA Weekly traveled to Detroit to explore the reality and legend of controversial rap duo Insane Clown Posse. Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope gave us a revealing, no-holds-barred interview, leaving behind their wicked clown personas for a rare glimpse at the vulnerable Detroit "scrubs" who built an unlikely music/wrestling/events/merchandise empire.
The cover story is posted right now on the LA Weekly site, and later we will be publishing here the unedited transcript of our interview with Joe Bruce and Joey Utsler (aka Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope).
We really think this is a great overview of the Insane Clown Posse phenomenon from the inside, an enlightening read for Juggalos and non-Juggalos alike. Last year Camille Dodero wrote a brilliant article about the Gathering of the Juggalos festival for the Village Voice. While that piece concentrated on the fans and the subculture, this one goes inside the phenomenon of the band itself. Joe and Joey are rarely this open and candid and they offered us a glimpse into their world and lives.
Here are some of the highlights, as the interview/feature/cover story reveals:
- The origins of ICP (before the cult phenomenon) in the economically hard-hit suburbs of Detroit.
- The earnestness and seriousness of Joe and Joey in what they see as a spiritual mission.
- How and why they wrote "Miracles" (aka, the "fuckin' magnets, how do they work?" song).
- Their final answer to the claims they are really "evangelical Christians."
- The mythology of the Dark Carnival, the Joker Cards and (exclusively for Juggalos) a new clue related to the upcoming Mighty Death Pop album.
- ICP's take on the incidents at the Gathering last year involving Tila Tequila.
- What happened when ICP met Ice Cube
- Their plan for Internet Pay-per-View domination.
- Why Insane Clown Posse might be the perfect soundtrack for the New American Depression (i.e., we're all scrubs now!)
Then read our entire cover story: "Down (and Out) with the Clown: The LA Weekly Interview with Insane Clown Posse" here.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.