Sexy Teens with Guitars!: The Runaways Movie is Upon Us
MTV.com has unveiled the last teaser trailer for the upcoming Runaways movie and we can finally get a look at this biopic/cautionary tale/True Hollywood Story.
Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie as jailbait
The Runaways saga has been told many times in books (the out-of-print Neon Angel: The Cherie Currie Story) and documentaries (the often-hard-to-watch Edgeplay: A Film About the Runaways), but this is a little different for a number of reasons:
- It's a major Hollywood movie, featuring the band's songs on the soundtrack.
- They're gonna try to sell it as both an inspirational feminist story (chicks can rock too!) and also as the typical Bad News Bears/Cool Runnings "scrappy bunch makes good" kind of deal.
- Small problem: anyone who's seen the harrowing Edgeplay documentary or read anything about the band in the last 30 years knows that this story is really about the exploitation of fame-hungry teenagers by creepy Svengali-wannabe Kim Fowley, who dressed them up as barely legal hookers, made them sing about being jailbait, and encouraged them to mess up their lives.
- Hollywood's answer: hire 15-year-old Dakota Fanning to portray singer Cherie Currie, dress her up as a barely legal hooker and make her
lip-synchsing about being jailbait.
- Hollywood's other answer: hire Kristen Stewart to portray Joan Jett and market the shit out of the movie to Twilight-crazy preteens.
- Kim Fowley (portrayed in the movie by Oscar nominee Michael Shannon) would be proud. (Though the band's biggest hit does have the word "bomb" in the title...)
Trailer featuring teenage actresses dressed like 1970s rockers who were forced to dress as barely legal hookers, after the jump.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.