|Corgan photo by Patrick Demarchelier|
Jewel photo by Andrew Southam
Just about anyone with a hit record can get a book of poetry published these
days; witness the following snippets from various pop-star poetry volumes. (Jack
Whites verse was taken from the stream-of-consciousness effluxion in the liner
notes to Get Behind Me Satan .) Yes, its a troubling
trend, but consider the bright side: At least they didnt try to turn them into
1. I move like a worm/whose world/(words)/encompassed a mile/How do I rise above?/Where will this worm/find wings?
2. How can you say an embryo and fetus are nothing/youre just making an excuse/because you know youre killing something!
3. A twixt the twine and flowers divine/Devise the deign in this copper wane/Aghast the mask of ripping change/As I lie, aloft amongst the highest paid
4. Democracy is just a trick for capitalism to win/Get everyone involved/Not to acquire peace/But to get a piece/A piece of everything
5. What child who was innocent was pushed to the ground never to get up again?/wheres he/she at right now?/wheres a starbucks when you need one?
6. Shaking my freedom ass/Smiling my freedom smile/Praying on my freedom knees/Only to look up and find/Glass
Scroll down for the answers.
1. Jewel 2. T. Boz 3. Billy Corgan 4. Alicia Keys 5. Jack White 6. Jill Scott (By the way, we think lady Scotts poetry book, The Moments, the Minutes, the Hours, is actually pretty darn good.)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.
More MUSIC News
- Finally, L.A. Is Getting a Proper Day Club: Sunbar
Mon., Jul. 6, 7:30pm
Mon., Jul. 6, 8:00pm
Wed., Jul. 8, 7:00pm
Wed., Jul. 8, 8:00pm
- Fanatics! Here's Why There's So Much Suicide and Alan Vega in This Week's Show
- This Week's Best Concerts: Smokey Robinson, Barb Wire Dolls, Calexico