with a hit record can get a book of poetry published these days; witness the following snippets from various pop-star poetry volumes. (Jack Whites verse was taken from the stream-of-consciousness effluxion in the liner notes to Get Behind Me Satan.) Yes, its a troubling trend, but consider the bright side: At least they didnt try to turn them into songs.
1. I move like a worm/whose world/(words)/encompassed a mile/How do I rise above?/Where will this worm/find wings?
2. How can you say an embryo and fetus are nothing/youre just making an excuse/because you know youre killing something!
3. A twixt the twine and flowers divine/Devise the deign in this copper wane/Aghast the mask of ripping change/As I lie, aloft amongst the highest paid
4. Democracy is just a trick for capitalism to win/Get everyone involved/Not to acquire peace/But to get a piece/A piece of everything
5. What child who was innocent was pushed to the ground never to get up again?/wheres he/she at right now?/wheres a starbucks when you need one?
6. Shaking my freedom ass/Smiling my freedom smile/Praying on my freedom knees/Only to look up and find/Glass
Scroll down for the answers.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. Jewel 2. T. Boz 3. Billy Corgan 4. Alicia Keys 5. Jack White 6. Jill Scott (By the way, we think lady Scotts poetry book, The Moments, the Minutes, the Hours, is actually pretty darn good.)