Party Like It's 2009: AM and Travis, Armin Van Buuren, Cast of The Hills
Another new year, another eve that can’t possibly live up to the hype. Or can it? This week, it’s not just the volume of L.A. ringers and ragers that’s impressive, it’s the variety. Here, a sampling of the biggest and most bodacious New Year's Eve parties. (See listings under “Wed.” for more.)
• GIANT MAXIMUS. The most anticipated blowout of ’em all, Giant’s street-scene boasts headliners Moby (DJ set), Mickey Avalon and Paul Oakenfold, and with the electro leader joining forces with the Hard heads, plus spinners like Paparazzi (Dance), Franki Chan (IHeartComix), Marques Wyatt (Deep) and the Basic and Compression crews bringing their respective dance denizens out, this one will be mixed to the max. 8th St. & Figueroa Ave., dwntwn.; www.giantclub.com/maximus/.
• HOLLYWOOD ROOSEVELT NYE. The landmark hotel offers one of its holiday humdingers with Perry Farrell, Bloc Party’s Kele Okereke, Andy Caldwell and more spinning electro, mash-ups, house and hip-hop. With The Alliance group involved, expect A-list guests. Appetizers and champagne toast at midnight. 7000 Hollywood Blvd. www.homemadela.com.
• TRVSDJ-AM. Moved from The Lot in West Hollywood to the Wiltern, Travis Barker and DJ AM's triumphant return to the stage together starts off the new year with celebratory, life-affirming rhythms. 3790 Wilshire Blvd. 8:30 p.m.- 2 a.m.; www.netparty.newyearsnation.com.
• GRIDLOCK. Katy Perry headlines this faux-city free-for-all to take place on Paramount Studios’ urban backdrops, but for many, it’ll be about the dancing to DJ dynamos like Skeet Skeet, Guns ’n’ Bombs, Pase Rock, Classixx, Coolwhip and more. LMFAO rock the VIP section, and there’ll be “Hollywood Star Rising” in lieu of the ball drop. So LA. 5555 Melrose Ave., L.A.; www.gridlockla.com.
• GOLD 009. MFG and The Standard Hollywood present this poolside pumper, featuring a live performance by Amsterdam’s Le Le, plus Royal Rumble, Valida and C-Town on the decks and more. 8300 W. Sunset Blvd. Tickets and info at (323) 822-3121.
• HUMPTY HUMP NEW YEAR. The Dolce group offers Digital Underground’s Shock G plus yummy appetizers from Bella, Ketchup, Geisha House and Dolce, DJs and open bar. 1638 Las Palmas Ave. www.dolcegroup.com/lesdeux.
• TOGETHER AS ONE. More big beats and big DJs in a big room, this annual rave-a-thon has Armin Van Buuren, DeadMau5, M.A.N.D.Y, Junior Sanchez and more unifying bass heads and house lovers alike. 3939 S. Figueroa Ave., dwntwn. www.newyearsevela.com.
• NYE ’09. Check out the Palladium’s new look (and danceteria feel) at this Avalon-thrown bash headlined by electronic thrashers Infected Mushroom, plus Flosstradamus, Hyphy Crunk and Oodee. Ticket stub good for discount at Avalon after 2 a.m. 6215 Sunset Blvd., Hlywd.; (323) 462-8900.
• THE KRESS. Biggie DJ Donald Glaude spins at the Hollywood groover goliath. 6680 Hollywood Blvd. www.thekress.net.
• DOLLHOUSE. Green meets the “reality” scene as the cast of The Hills hosts the party at Hollywood’s eco-friendliest funhouse. 1640 Cahuenga Blvd., Hlywd. www.eccohollywood.com.
• MISS KITTY’S. The feline freak-fest says thanks to fans with a free fete, featuring “exxxotic” stage performances (including fetish model Courtney Cruz), electro DJs and more. At the Dragonfly, 6510 Santa Monica Blvd. www.misskittysparlour.com.
• TRANNYSHACK. San Francisco’s queen scene comes to L.A., with this New Year’s Eve event thrown with Dada Dada Dance Haus. Boys in bras and free bubbly at midnight . what more could a gal (or guy) want? At Medusa Lounge, 3211 Beverly Blvd. www.medusaloungela.com.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.