Christopher Victorio Neil Young and Crazy Horse at the Outside Lands festival. Christopher Victorio Neil Young and Crazy Horse last night at Outside Lands Festival.
Young never apologized for the set list, but he did obliquely quip about its newness: After a long, bleak new tune about alcoholism, he said, "I wrote this one this morning" -- just before launching into "Cinnamon Girl." You could feel a collective sigh of relief from the shivering masses. "Fuckin' Up" brought a familiar, reckless joy, and Young trading middle fingers and sumo-dancing in sync with Frank "Poncho" Sampedro, his longtime guitarist. All four musicians spent the show close to one another, often maintaining eye contact, which contributed to the feeling that the performance was more for benefit of the guys onstage than the tens of thousands watching.
Young musing on songwriting: "We can't help ourselves, we're trained like chimps. They trained us to write songs and we don't know how to stop."
Set list below
1. Love and Only Love
3. Ontario [New Song]
4. Walk Like a Giant [New Song]
5. The Needle and the Damage Done (Young solo acoustic)
6. [New song about hearing "Like a Rolling Stone" for first time]
7. Ramada Inn/ Every Morning Comes the Sun [New Song]
8. Cinnamon Girl
9. Fuckin' Up
10. Party Girl [New Song; "Sign of Love" with different lyrics]
11. Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
12. Mr. Soul
13. Roll Another Number (For the Road)
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!