[Editor's note: Daniel Hill and Drew Ailes are covering the Gathering of the Juggalos in Cave-in-Rock, Illinois.]
During the Gathering of the Juggalos, the things people are saying at Cave-In Rock, Illinois may not make a ton of sense, but when you are surrounded by a constant thundering bass drum, the maniacal shouting of "whoop, whoop," and the occasional dynamite explosion in the distance...you probably wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, either.
"Oh shit, Metallica!" [starts headbanging]
- One way to be sure that you're at the Gathering is that the Black Album by Metallica is always playing. And no one seems disappointed.
Nate "Igor" Smith This was not the dude selling the synthetic acid from Canada
- The above quote comes from three sketchy kids wearing gym shorts sitting outside of a tent with a sign that read, "$10 TRIP YOUR FACE OFF." They claimed to be selling a hallucinogen called 2CB. After hearing reports the next day of multiple overdoses on a drug called 25i (also called N-Bomb, a derivative of 2CB), this encampment mysteriously disappeared. Oh, forgot to mention: They also offered us a money back guarantee.
"This port-a-jon smells like shit!"
- Shouted by a kid with a wiry frame possessing homemade tattoos.
"Girl, I would break your neden."
- Said by a young kid. Like you, I had no idea what a "neden" is but picked up on it using context clues pretty quickly.
"Where did my dick go?"
- Garbled nonsense from a Juggalo swaying back and forth near a Port-a-John.
"You don't know what a cheeseburger is? Oh my god, they're the best."
- Some girl said this to someone else in a tent we were passing by, I swear to god.
"Im illin' and chillin' with my guts all over the ceiling."
"We're scrubs so we always get the bone."
- Memorable lyrics from stage performers
"I don't know, I think Whitney Houston should have died."
- Source unknown
"I don't know if you know or care, but do not take the acid."
- From a conversation in a golf-cart
"Do not take anything called 'spice' -- that's bath salts."
- From an unnamed associate
"You can take mushrooms and eat acid just as long as you don't have any glass bottles."
- Security at the front gate
"Someone died and now she's getting the fuck out of here."
- Random Juggalo wearing a cape
"I accept Jesus into my heart."
- Three people praying near the "From Juggalo to Christian" tent by the entrance
"Theres only nine hot girls in this whole thing."
"You smell that shit? You almost throw up. That coke -- it's almost like molly."
- From a group of guys we tried to trade a tallboy of Budweiser to after a short-lived attempt to see what we could barter up to from a beer. We quickly found out that no one had anything worth trading.
"Fuck your camera -- this is for us, not you."
- Yelled at a photographer
"This is a synthetic drug. It should act like a normal drug -- then people started reacting poorly."
- Random Juggalo
"Oh shit, it leaked down my leg."
- Random Juggalo
[chanting] "Pan-ty sniff-ers! Pan-ty sniff-ers! Tell you what, he said he'll put on the thong and let you smell it."
- Yelled through a megaphone by a large man wearing a sleeveless black work shirt
"I landed on my belly and just started slidin'. Then the four wheeler hit me in the back."
- A sunburned man in his forties to a sunburned man in his 20s
"Have you seen how they clean these things? They just open a door and blast a hose."
- Random Juggalette, on the condition of the bathrooms
"Fuck him in the ass with a Sharpie for fifteen dollars!"
- Spoken through a megaphone like a carnival barker in an attempt to get some poor kid enough money to get back to Maine. Minutes earlier, he was taking a kick to the testicles for five dollars.
"I got some serious shit -- hand sanitizer will save your life. You'll get Gathering-itus."
- One shirtless Juggalo to another
"Hey are you really trippin'? [Waves hands in kid's face]
- Some asshole with no courtesy for people on mind-bending journeys through space and time
Nate "Igor" Smith
- Yelled over a megaphone by a kid with a heavy amount of facial tattoos who had been stapling dollar bills to himself and later cut off at least one of his nipples for $80. (It is actually this guy! --ed.)
Nate "Igor" Smith
- Exclaimed by the happiest person ever seen on the planet
"I'm about to be twerkin'"
- Unknown female voice
"Does anybody wanna buy this megaphone for fifty dollars?"
- Shouted through a megaphone
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!