How to Sell Your Merch: DIY Advice from Profitable Indie Goddess (and Her Assistant)
So you've built your musical brand and you've got "a following." Are you ready to monetize this motherfucka? Well, profitable indie goddess (and quirky personal brand mistress) Amanda Palmer--aka, the no-browed Dresden Doll--just posted an informative post on her blog entitled, natch, "How to sell your shit, by Amanda fucking Palmer." The post is cool, but what's way cooler is a handy list of links by her assistant Kayla. It's all you need to run your own merch operation!:
Kayla's handy list includes all the resources for running your band business circa 2010.
This is Kayla's advice:
• bandcamp (so awesome. one-stop shopping for physical product and digital music. all sorts of awesome bells and whistles, plus an amazing group of people working there. if you are a musician and you’re not on bandcamp, stop reading this and fix that now)
• tunecore (a simple and affordable way to get yourself on itunes, amazonmp3, and tons of other places)
• orchard (ditto)
• ioda (ditto)
• CDBaby (ditto)
• IRIS (one more, similar to the last few)
• threadless (the big daddy of amazing shirts…enter your designs, buy others, etc)
• ebay (sell your stuff and buy other people’s…you’d be surprised what you can find on there)
• paypal (accept/send money)
• square (take credit card payments right on your phone - great for merch booths/fleamarkets/cons)
• amazon (yup, you can sell things there as well as blow your whole paycheck)
• kickstarter (a great way to get your project going/fund your crazy idea)
• VGkids - stellar people. stellar products. most all of the shirts/posters we’ve done lately have come from VG.
• one inch round buttons, buttons, BUTTONS…[...]
• furnace - UkuleleHead red & orange vinyl and the forthcoming release of the dresden dolls’ “a is for accident” on limited edition vinyl…REMASTERED!
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.