Hear Madi Diaz Cover The Submarines (PREMIERE)
Photo by Neil Krug
Canadian music company Nettwerk celebrates its 30th anniversary this year, and to mark the occasion, they've enlisted 14 of their current artists to cover songs from their extensive catalog. The resulting collection, due out Jan. 27, is called From Cover To Cover: 30 Years at Nettwerk, and might be the first time songs by Sarah McLachlan, Barenaked Ladies and Skinny Puppy have all appeared on the same record. (Full track list below.)
Not all of From Cover to Cover has a Great White North connection. Among the many up-and-coming artists currently signed to Nettwerk is L.A.-based singer-songwriter Madi Diaz, who contributes a gorgeous, danceable version of "You, Me and the Bourgeoisie," by late, lamented L.A. indie-pop duo The Submarines. L.A. Weekly is pleased to premiere the track below.
Here is the complete track list for From Cover To Cover: 30 Years at Nettwerk:
1. Let Her Go (Cover by Scars on 45; Original by Passenger)
2. Big Jet Plane (Cover by Coves; Original by Angus & Julia)
3. You Me & The Bourgeoisie (Cover by Madi Diaz; Original by The Submarines)
4. World Spins Madly On (Cover by Joshua Hyslop; Original by The Weepies)
5. Wagon Wheel (Cover by Lily Kershaw; Original by Old Crow Medicine Show)
6. In Spite Of All The Damage (Cover by Dave Beckingham (Hey Ocean!); Original by The Be Good Tanyas)
7. Gold In Them Hill (Cover by Admiral Fallow; Original by Ron Sexsmith)
8. I Hear You Calling (Cover by Dave Vertesi (Hey Ocean!); Original by Gob)
9. Shiver (Cover by Run River North; Original by Coldplay)
10. Yellow (Cover by Caroline Pennell; Original by Coldplay)
11. Jane (Cover by Twin Bandit; Original by Barenaked Ladies)
12. Ice Cream (Cover by William Fitzsimmons; Original by Sarah McLachlan)
13. What Was Going Through My Head (Cover by Great Lake Swimmers; Original by The Grapes of Wrath)
14. Assimilate (Cover by Radical Face; Original by Skinny Puppy)
For more on Nettwerk and their ongoing 30th anniversary celebrations, which will include more special releases throughout the year, visit www.nettwerk.com.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.