Fanatics! We Do Our Best to Heat Up the Music
RADIO BROADCAST #266
05 - 04 - 14
Fanatics! Another Sunday, another great night of music. You know that thing we do each year, as the heat builds up, at least in the part of the world I am writing from, (our Australian and New Zealander Fanatics I guess are starting to get a bit of a cool off happening, hopefully, this soundtrack will be good for you) we do our best to heat up the music. It looks like it will be a scorching summer, so we will do our best to keep the soundtrack interesting and not drive you too crazy.
Larry from In The Red Records has just sent over some new releases and we will be folding them into the mix as soon as possible. Also, we will be rocking the excellent new Oh Sees Drop album as well. If you are an Oh Sees fan, it's another great one. Limited edition colored vinyl on the first 1000 of the record the went so fast. If you are so inclined to go after that kind of thing, you might want to look on the eBay and the discogs sites for some copies, otherwise, it's easy to find on black vinyl. This is the absolute best way to check that band.
Fanatics, I had a great listening session two nights ago. It was just me and a recently acquired LP copy of the Kim Salmon & the Surrealists early 90's album Sin Factory. One of my favorites of his and ultimate on LP.
As I write this, I am listening to all the songs that are on the show tonight. I think you're really going to like this one. This Jack Name album Light Show is blowing my mind every time I hear it. Talk about putting the lie to the whole "there is no good music anymore" bullshit. One of the best of the year so far.
I spoke to a cool guy over at the LA Times a few days ago about the new Le Butcherettes album and when it was coming out. I think he said the release date was in May but I am not sure exactly when. Please keep this one on your radar for the exact release date. Excellent record.
Have you ever seen Nick Kroll? He's a very funny man. He works all the time, has a show on Comedy Central. I met him a few hours ago, very good guy. I think the first time I saw him was in the below clip, which I just watched again.
Just my own opinion, tonight's MVP goes to Scott Asheton's playing on our Sonic's Rendezvous track.
I do believe that we have struck an almost perfect balance in our two hours tonight. I am listening and am happy with how it's going. Perhaps we put too much consideration into this show but I happen to think it's worth it. I hope you dig it.
My day starts incredibly early tomorrow and so I must stop here. We hope you dig the show.
Hang in there until next week and STAY FANATIC!!!
- - Henry
See Henry's playlist on the next page...
Follow us on Twitter @LAWeeklyMusic, Henry Rollins @henryrollins and like us at LAWeeklyMusic.
Henry Rollins' 20 Favorite Punk Albums
Henry Rollins' Favorite Albums of 2013
Henry Rollins: The American People Kicked Your Ass, Republicans
Henry Rollins: Gay Marriage Is Punk Rock
01. David Bowie - It's No Game (Part 1) / Scary Monsters
02. Lost Sounds - Your Looking Glass / Lost Sounds
03. Vox Pop - Cab Driver / single
04. Blasted Canyons - Holy Geometry / 2nd Place
05. Trin Tran - Round Right / Far Reaches
06. Jack Name - Sound Was the Castle / Light Show
07. Sonic's Rendezvous Band - It's Alright 02-22-77 / Second Chance
08. The Heartbreakers - Chinese Rocks ('77 Essex Demo) / Heartbreakers L.A.M.F. Definitive Edition
09. Total Control - One More Tonight / Henge Beat
10. The Chiefs - The Lonlies / Holly-West Crisis
11. Roxy Music - Both Ends Burning / Siren
12. Young Marble Giants - Final Day / Peel Session
13. Wire - I Feel Mysterious Today / Chairs Missing
14. Coyle & Sharpe - Cake For Pronoun / Audio Visionaries
15. Georgie James - Cake Parade / Need Your Needs
01. Cornell Campbell - I Shall Not Remove / I Shall Not Remove 1975-80
02. Flin Flon - Kamloops / A-Ok
03. Frederick Michael St. Jude - Here Am I / Here Am I
04. Neil Morris - Music Has No End / Southern Journey, Vol. 7
05. Marnie Stern - Year of the Glad / The Chronicles of Marnia
06. Ty Segall & Mikal Cronin I Wear Black / Reverse Shark Attack
07. Hawnay Troof - White Men In Suits / Dollar And Deed (clean)
08. Minor Threat - Good Guys / Complete Discography
09. Roky Erickson - Click Your Fingers Applauding The Play / Click Your Fingers Applauding The Play
10. Sort Sol - Interpreter / The Blackest Box
11. White Fence - Live on Genevieve / Cyclops Reap
12. Duke Ellington - Blue Pepper (Far East Of The Blues) / The Far East Suite
13. Thomas Mapfumo - Jaju-Mu Jakacha / Hokoyo!
14. The Birthday Party - Capers / Prayers on Fire
15. Minutemen Fake Contest / What Makes a Man Start Fires?
16. David Bowie - It's No Game (Part 2) / Scary Monsters
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.