Fanatics! We Are Onto Something With This Playlist
RADIO BROADCAST #245
See also: Henry Rollins: A Bloody Mess
Fanatics! I might be soon wrapping up operations here in Toronto and heading elsewhere. It's been a great time, and even though it's been cold, that has added to the experience.
Tonight, another stretch of road in our long march to the sea. This is a good early dark depression smasher if I do say so myself. I hope you like the Wendy's track. I can't believe we have not played that one before.
Not a lot of people here that are unfamiliar to you. I thought as the holiday season crept upon us and the seething anger of the shopping wars started, we should have some tunes we are somewhat familiar with.
I think my favorite tracks of the night are the Coltrane and the Al Eide. Check out Al's lyrics on "Life on the Edge." Amazing.
I am sure you have noticed we are listening to a lot of Hawkwind lately. I hope that's not bugging you. I wish we had more time on this show so we could get further into things. Of course, what we have is fantastic, but wouldn't it be great to play an album after our mix is over, some cool record we could lose ourselves in? Well, you have access to your own tunes, Fanatic, and you will do what you will do. I just think the two hours goes by really fast sometimes.
Hey Fanatic, have you read the reviews of that Clash box set thing that came out several weeks ago? The only person I know for sure who has it is our good pal Shepard Fairey, but I have not heard what he thinks of it as yet. I am interested in hearing some of the rare tracks as I am sure there is a lot of Clash that I have not heard. I am put off a bit by all the stuff that comes in the box set that I don't want. I just want the music, not all the merch stuff. Does anyone? Perhaps they will put out a smaller, less bells and whistles version at some point.
Anyway, what I wanted to point out to you is that a lot of the reviews point out that the band could have released some of the Rat Patrol from Fort Bragg versions of the Combat Rock album. If you're not familiar with these versions of the songs, they were Mick Jones' mixes of the tracks that the band and perhaps the label were not thrilled about. On most of them, you might agree but it makes for some interesting listening. Fanatic, I am sure you might very well be familiar with these tracks but if you're not, here is some access.
Get ready, get set, the overpriced Velvet Underground White Light/White Heat deluxe version is about to drop. We might have to play that one a bit, just to make sure all is right with the world.
I was hoping for more cool Christmas releases, like the aforementioned.
Remember last week, I told you about the Steven R. Smith Ending/Returning album? I have been checking it out and damn, it's good. You can find it here. The man is a great musician, and this one of his best releases yet.
Have you heard of Thee Oh Sees new record? It's a singles comp. Johnny warned us weeks ago that it was coming out, and it did. Insane color schemes for three different versions of the record. I think the "ultra clear with strawberry haze" version was the smallest run at a mere 300. I don't know what colors are left, but I think there is also a run of regular black vinyl and CD as well. I have some but not all of the singles and am looking forward to hearing them all lined up and of course, we will be rocking that one. Here's info.
In other Castle Face news, White Fence, aka Tim Presley has a new live album out.
There's a live Fuzz record that was released on Castle Face in apparently limited quantities, because they're all gone. You can get on their mailing list and be one of the cool kids. There are black vinyl and the super limited clear copies on eBay. I have not heard this one but ordered a copy awhile ago and look forward to hearing it. Also, there's a Ty Segall live album called Live at Death Audio that came out 300 on white vinyl and was gone almost immediately. What was that, In The Red mail order only? Movin' too fast! Good luck finding that one. I have not heard this, but he and the band cover Hawkwind's "Silver Machine," so I will try to bring that to your ears.
If you live in the L.A. area, the Echo and Echoplex are rockin' for shows in this month!!! VUM residency on Monday nights! Weirdos on the 13th! Pere Ubu on the 18th!!!! Check it out.
Fanatics, we have a lot of listening to do!
Get it spinning and STAY FANATIC!!!
See Henry's Tracklist Below
01. Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak / Peel Sessions 4:06
02. Coloured Balls - Heavy Metal Kid / Heavy Metal Kid 2:29
03. John Coltrane - Giant Steps / Coltrane On Atlantic box set
04. Death - You're A Prisoner / ...For the World to See
04. Etran Finatawa - Tea Ceremony III / Desert Crossroads
05. ? - Wendy's / tape
06. Josh White - Evil Hearted Man / Complete Vol. 5
07. The Bags - Survive / Dangerhouse Vol. 1
08. The Gorillas - It's My Life / Raw Records Punk Singles Collection
09. Dillinger - Melting Pot / Ultimate Collection
10. Past Lives - Falling Spikes / Tapestry of Webs
11. Jaguar Love - The Man With The Plastic Suns / Take Me to the Sea
12. Thee Oh Sees - Toe Cutter-Thumb Buster / Floating Coffin
13. Ulaan Markhor - City of Lakes / Ulaan Markhor
01. Hawkwind - Master of the Universe / In Search of Space
02. Witch - Nasuka / We Intend to Cause Havoc!
03. The Germs - Communist Eyes / Germs Complete
04. TV Smith - This Year, Next Year / Generation Y
05. Marnie Stern - Hell Yes / The Chronicles of Marnia
06. Harry Howard and the NDE - Sick Sick Sick / Near Death Experience
07. Antelope - Wandering Ghost / Reflector
08. The Prids - Before We Are / ...Until the World Is Beautiful
09. El Guapo - Underground / Fake French
10. Al Eide - Life On The Edge / Wild Fury
11. Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Which Way to Go / Primary Colours
12. Buzzcocks - Autonomy / Another Music in a Different Kitchen
13. Duke Ellington - Hard Way / The Afro-Eurasian Eclipse
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.