Fanatics! Two Hours of Sonic High Grouping
KCRW BROADCAST #206
Fanatics! The snow is melting and soon, the heat will be here. I think we should enjoy this transitional time because soon enough the subtle gentleness of what Southern California calls spring, will be gone.
Tonight, is two hours of sonic high grouping. Some familiar and perhaps the majority new to your ears, or at least somewhat exploratory. If you look down at our play list for tonight, you will see many bands and artists who we have never featured on our show before. Nine for sure.
One of them is Arctic Sleep from Chicago and Milwaukee. I found them online several days ago and took a listen. I liked what I heard, so I bought their records and contacted them. Looking forward to getting into these records more as soon as I can. For now, we start our second hour with a track from their new album, Arbors.
Resonance Records has yet again pulled more great music from the mists of time with
Bobby Rogers of the Miracles has passed away, so we will listen to a great track by them as well.
If you read my latest piece in the L.A. Weekly, you might recall I wrote about John Coltrane and the last days of the "Classic Quartet" he had before he changed his lineup. I have been spending no short amount of time thinking about the direction he took after parting ways with pianist McCoy Tyner and drummer extraordinaire Elvin Jones. The piece we play tonight, "Transition," shows just how amazingly powerful this band was. At some point, I want to play for you, in its entirety, the last session of the Quartet. It is some of the best material they ever recorded and it makes me wonder what would have happened had the band stayed together beyond 1966. I am going to have to find some time to drill down on some of Coltrane's later recordings; it's been awhile.
Fanatics, we have been a long way down this road together, and we have so much more to cover. Please prepare yourself for an unrelentingly diverse and at times, exhaustive bit of listening in 2013. You might be wondering how we are able to maintain such enthusiastic eclecticity with this show, never once allowing our abundant energy dip below ecstatic. Well, that's who we are, and that's how we do it.
This is going to be a great night and the best is still yet to come! Don't eat stuff off the sidewalk and STAY FANATIC!!!
See Henry's tracklist below:
01. Suicide - Ghost Rider / Suicide
02. The Birthday Party - Kiss Me Black / Junkyard
03. Pumice - Ready To Rot / Puny
04. Strië - Rapid Eye Movement / Õhtul
05. Lamppukello - Kylmiä - Tavaroita / Kaahumatti Kaheskanneski, Yyjö Ite Yheskänneski
06. Brute Heart - Satellite / Lonely Hunter
07. Night Shift - Orthodox Transmitter / Trespasser's Guide To Nowhere
08. Tommy Flanagan & Jaki Byard - Satin Doll / The Magic Of 2
09. Agitated Radio Pilot - Innumerable Night / Gold Leaf Branches
10. Pigeons - Lil Deb's Debris - Liaisons
11. Keijo Virtanen & Tiitus Petäjäniemi - Kierre / Katovalo Sammuu Kohdollaru
12. Steven R. Smith - Certain Things Last - Lineaments
01. Arctic Sleep - Black Moth / Arbors
02. The Miracles - Bad Girl / The Doo Wop Box II
03. Michael Finnissy - The Seeds Of Love / Piano English Country-Tunes
04. John Coltrane Quartet - Transition/ Transition
05. Clara Ward - When We All Get To Heaven / Precious Memories: Ladies Of Gospel
06. Behemoth - XUL / Demigod
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.