Fanatics! This Show Is Proof That Some Holiday Music Is Palatable
Photo by Heidi May
[Every Sunday from 8 to 10 p.m., Henry Rollins brings an exclusive mix of songs old and new to listeners at 89.9 FM, KCRW. Visit KCRW.com for more information and to stream his show online, or peruse the Radio Notes archives to see past playlists.]
RADIO BROADCAST #352
Fanatic! I hope Christmas was good for you, whatever that means to you. For me, it’s just more time to check out records and catch my breath.
I have never been a fan of holiday music but there are a few artists that make it palatable. Years ago, I found out there was a Bootsy Christmas record and got it as soon as I could. I thought it would be the best way to start off the show.
Johnn Novello, Tom Scott, Chris Standring
TicketsTue., Sep. 19, 8:30pm
Chin Up Kid, Morning in May
TicketsWed., Sep. 20, 7:00pm
Orphaned Land, Pain, Voodoo Kung Fu
TicketsThu., Sep. 21, 7:00pm
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
TicketsThu., Sep. 21, 7:30pm
Salute to John Coltrane
TicketsThu., Sep. 21, 8:30pm
Recently, something happened that should have happened a long time ago. Deadboy and the Elephantmen’s excellent album We Are Night Sky finally hit vinyl. Fat Possum released it last October. This is a standout record that shouldn’t be missed.
Let’s see, Light in the Attic just released a 2-LP version of the Alan Vega Trio’s Cubist Blues album, sounds amazing.
Superior Viaduct re-issued the Introducing Scientist album by Scientist. Sounds much better than the re-issue on Important a few years ago.
An interesting Gun Club release called Mother Berlin of either alt recordings or alt mixes of Mother Juno recordings. These came out on as CD extras years ago. I ordered my LP version and am waiting. I will let you know what it’s like. In the meantime, the label sent me files, so we rock a track near the bottom of the second hour.
As I write this, I am listening to the tracks we have prepared for you here and I think we have ourselves a great show. I hope you dig it.
We will be getting into some really great music next year, if we are not canned, so please stay tuned and STAY FANATIC!!!
01. Bootsy Collins - Merry Christmas Baby / Christmas Is 4 Ever
02. Jay Reatard – Nightmares / Blood Visions
03. Yabby U - Version Dub / King Tubby's Prophesy Of Dub
04. Tralala - Holiday Hearts / Falala-La-La... with Tralala
05. Batrider – Psycho / Why We Can't Be Together
06. Patton Oswalt - My Christmas Memory / Feelin' Kinda Patton
07. Trin Tran - It's a Burn / Dark Radar
08. Friends Forever - Space Final Secret Revealed / Gang Wizard/Friends Forever Split
09. Holland – Sparks / Drums
10. David Bowie – Blackout / "Heroes"
11. Som Imaginario - Super-God / Som Imaginario
12. Ty Segall – Cents / Singles 2007-2010
13. Brian Doyle-Murray - The Littlest Christmas Tree / National Lampoon Radio Hour
14. Wire - Let's Panic Later / 154
15. Kraftwerk – Radio Sterne / Radio-Aktivität
16. The Damned - Feel The Pain / Damned Damned Damned
17. Wolf Eyes - Asbestos Youth / I Am A Problem
01. High On Fire - The Sunless Years / Luminiferous
02. Hierophants - White Bread / Parallax Error
03. Einstürzende Neubauten - Tan-Ze-Dub / Kalte Sterne
04. Pere Ubu - Chinese Radiation / The Modern Dance
05. Charlie Parker – Koko / The Complete Live Performances On Savoy
06. Desmond Dekker - Perseverance / 20 Greatest Hits
07. The Fall – Winter / Complete Peel Sessions
08. Joy Division - Shadowplay / Unknown Pleasures
09. Deadboy And The Elephantmen - How Long The Night Was / We Are Night Sky
10. Gun Club - Lupita Screams / Mother Berlin
11. James White & The Blacks - Christmas With Satan / Off White
More From the Mind of Henry Rollins:
The Major Labels Are Screwing Up Record Store Day
When You Claim Racism Is Over, You Get a Dylann Roof
Why I'm Not an Atheist
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.