Fanatics! Some Rare Clinton/Bootsy and Uncensored Patton Oswalt
Photo by Heidi May
[Every Sunday from 8 to 10 p.m., Henry Rollins brings an exclusive mix of songs old and new to listeners at 89.9 FM, KCRW. Visit KCRW.com for more information and to stream his show online, or peruse the Radio Notes archives to see past playlists.]
RADIO BROADCAST #299
Fanatic! I hope this finds you well. As you might know by now, I am on the road and all the December shows are hopefully in KCRW’s computer and will roll out faithfully at the appointed time.
It’s been a long time since we have tapped the very interesting George Clinton Family Series CDs for a track. These records are also called the Family Series as well. I just did some looking around on Discogs and they seem to be fairly easy to find. I think there’s at least five or six of them. They are pretty interesting.
That’s where we grab tonight’s first track from. If you are a fan of the P, this series could very well offer you some cool George tracks you have never heard before. I found these many years ago and it’s been awhile since I played them all the way through.
I don’t know why, but I thought we should listen to Captain Beyond for tonight’s show. It has been a long time since we rocked a track from them. I think there are three studio albums. All of them are cool but for me at least, the magic is on the first one. I think it was Dez Cadena who turned me onto them many years ago.
I hope you dig the Guru Guru track at the end of our first hour. I have been on a Guru Guru jag lately. Very cool and wild records. UFO, Hinten and Kanguru are the ones I have heard.
All the way down in hour 2, you will see our good pal Patton Oswalt. I bet we rocked this very funny track last year. It’s one of the only bits of his extremely hilarious material that we can play on the radio and not have to censor. A miracle!
Thank you for checking out the show. If you are traveling and can still tune in, that’s great; if not, find us when you can and whenever possible, tell a friend about the show. The more the better.
Listen to a lot of music and STAY FANATIC!!!
See Henry's playlist on the next page...
Like us on Facebook at LAWeeklyMusic
01. Bootsy Collins - The Chong Show / Vol. 1: Go Fer Yer Funk
02. Roky Erickson - Click Your Fingers Applauding The Play / (album same title)
03. Desmond Dekker - 007 (Shanty Town) / The Original Reggae Hitsound
04. Captain Beyond - Raging River Of Fear / Captain Beyond
05. Frank Ulwenya - Chakacha / Safarini In Transit
06. Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Yo-Yo Man / Eddy Current Suppression Ring
07. Silver Apples/Alan Vega - Silver Monk Time / Silver Monk Time
08. Philip Lynott - Dear Miss Lonely Hearts / Solo In Soho
09. Bill Parker - Gonna Put My Foot Down / Southern Funkin' : Louisiana Funk & Soul
10. The Mae Shi - Remarkably Dirty Animals / Don't Ignore The Potential
11. Guru Guru - Baby Cake Walk / Kanguru
01. Pink Fairies - Do It (Single Edit) / Never Never Land
02. Dark - Zero Time / Dark Round The Edges
03. Empire - Hot Seat / Expensive Sound
04. Robert Pete Williams - I'm Going Down Slow / Louisiana Blues
05. Mad Season - River of Deceit / Above
06. Joy Division - New Dawn Fades / Unknown Pleasures
07. Meatbodies – Two / Meatbodies
08. Patton Oswalt - My Christmas Memory / Feelin' Kinda Patton
09. The Channels - My Love For You Will Never Die / Memories Of Times Square Vol. 3
10. Angry Angles – Crowds / single
11. Useless Eaters – Whip / Bleeding Moon
12. Mating chorus of the Eastern Narrow-Mouthed Toad / Sounds of North American Frogs
13. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Stranger Than Kindness / Your Funeral...My Trial
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.