Fanatics! Ready For Your Enjoyment
RADIO BROADCAST #248
See also: Henry Rollins: Whitey Christmas
Fanatics! We are coming to the end of the "holiday season" and soon, we will all be grinding away in 2014. I am glad the station saw fit to be open to allow us to come in and bring you the show.
I have been playing all these songs in this order for a couple of days now, and after a few changes, I came to the conclusion that it was ready for your enjoyment.
Tonight, we have a track off the new Blind Shake album on Castle Face and a track from an interesting re-issue released on Light in the Attic by Michael Chapman.
Jazz master Yusef Lateef passed away on the 23rd. Tonight, we honor the man with a track from his Live at Pep's album. Here is his site address.
New Insect Surfers ends our first hour. The Surfers main man, Dave Arnson, is a D.C. area guy who used to be on the same bill with the Bad Brains and the first wave of D.C. independent bands. He relocated to L.A. many years ago and has kept is vision of rockin' Surf music alive. Tonight, we rock a track from his new album.
In our second hour, we play a track from the new Tinariwen album, Emmaar. The CD was sent to me recently. It's not coming out for a few weeks, and so I asked if we could play it and I got the green light, so we're good to go. It's a good record. The band recorded it in America and like on their last album, had some non-Tinariwen musicians play with them. It's not for me to tell a band what to do, but it's a drag that the band has decided to water down their sound with other players. Still, it's a great record.
A lot of familiar folks in this hour. That's the way I wanted it for our last show of the year. I think you know all these people by now. It is a good sounding mix that I hope will work for you.
Earlier this year, we were moved to Sunday nights, we wobbled a little but were able to get ourselves back on track and adjust. This show is all about you, Fanatic. Getting the music out to you weekly is what we're all about. Hopefully, you are able to listen live or on archive and get some enjoyment from it.
Will Bentley's other band (besides The Bakery, his conceptual two-man Stoner band), is called Tiger Stir. If you remember, we listened to a track of theirs a few weeks ago. Heads up for all those in the L.A. area, the band will be playing tonight, Friday the 27th, at a club in Santa Monica called TriP. The venue is located at 2101 Lincoln Blvd. Santa Monica, CA 90405. The band's Facebook page says they will play at 2000 hrs. Admission is free.
We will be live on Sunday night. You, me, Engineer X and the aforementioned Young Will Bentley will have a real good time together.
Be safe and STAY FANATIC!!!
See Henry's Tracklist Below
01. Fushitsusha - ? / ?
02. Roy Orbison - In Dreams / Greatest Hits
03. Alternative TV - Action Time Vision / The Image Has Cracked
04. Kas Product - Black & Noir / single
05. Ween - I Can't Put My Finger On It / Chocolate and Cheese
06. Weirdos - Solitary Confinement / Weird World: Volume 1
07. Roky Ericson - If You Have Ghosts / The Evil One
08. The Blind Shake - Can't Stand Life / Key To A False Door
09. Michael Chapman - Kodak Ghosts / Fully Qualified Survivor
10. Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance / The Modern Dance
11. Yusef Lateef - The Magnolia Triangle / Live at Pep's
12. Electric Wizard - Vinium Sabbathi / Dopethrone
13. HTRK - Ha / Kiss Of The Damned
14. Insect Surfers - Delmarva / Infra Green
01. Tinariwen - Timadrit In Sahara / Emmaar
02. Steven R. Smith - Motes / Ending / Returning
03. Linda Yong & The Silvertones - Good Luck In The New Year / Singapore A-Go-Go
04. Hisato Higuchi - Nijumu Kubi / Bara Bara Na Bamen
05. Bob Dylan - All Along The Watchtower (mono) / Best Of The Mono Recordings
06. Guru Guru - Space Ship / Hinton
07. Cluster - Marzipan / Zuckerzeit
08. Kraftwerk - Computerwelt / Computerwelt
09. David Bowie - Sound And Vision / Low
10. Iggy Pop - The Passenger / Lust for Life
11. Velvet Underground - I Heard Her Call My Name (mono) / White Light / White Heat
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.