Fanatics! Rare Music From Frederick Michael St. Jude
RADIO BROADCAST #259
03 - 16 - 14
Fanatics! For your inspection, evaluation and hopeful enjoyment, we submit the following music.
If you notice, the awesomeness starts from the very first note. I thought Super Stupid would be great to drive into Devo with. Tonight, we listen to the proper b-side version of Devo's Turn Around, which we have never played before. Freedom of Choice was the album that broke Devo with "Whip It" and some Devo fans turned against it. It was one of their titles that I left alone for awhile but it is really good and if you have never played it or if it's been awhile, you should check it out. One of those 33 1/3 books is coming out on Freedom of Choice, could be cool.
See also: Henry Rollins: Ark de Triomphe
Recently, Frederick Michael St. Jude sent me some unreleased material of his. It's really great and I asked if we could have permission to play one of the tracks and he said yes. So, we are happy to be able to play some rare music of his tonight. My personal favorite track of the night. Thanks, Fred!
More Pontiak tonight. I hope some of you got a chance to see them on their recent live dates.
If you check on hour 2, we are rockin' the Sounds track "Charlie Chan." I was able to track down some more material by them. They were on a label called Sarg and recorded a few sides. Some of them were released on a Bear Family retrospective of Sarg. You can listen to two tracks here. So far, I am liking "Charlie Chan" the best.
Speaking of Charlie, we check out some Charlie Patton tonight. He was amazing and worth checking out but be prepared for a lot of crackle and static. You have to concentrate when you listen but it's worth it. There are different collections of his work. I have found this one to be the best sounding.
I think tonight is our first brush with Keiko Higuchi, hope you like the track.
I Don't Know If You Care About This Kind Of Thing Dept. : The first three Zeppelin albums are being re-released in a few different configurations with extra tracks, live material, etc. Info right here.
Keep listening and STAY FANATIC!!!
- - Henry
See Henry's playlist on the next page...
Follow us on Twitter @LAWeeklyMusic, Henry Rollins @henryrollins and like us at LAWeeklyMusic.
Henry Rollins' 20 Favorite Punk Albums
Henry Rollins' Favorite Albums of 2013
Henry Rollins: The American People Kicked Your Ass, Republicans
Henry Rollins: Gay Marriage Is Punk Rock
01. Funkadelic - Super Stupid / Maggot Brain 4:01
02. Devo - Turn Around / Freedom Of Choice 2:13
03. Jack Name - My Own Electric Ladyland / Light Show 2:50
04. Frederick Michael St. Jude - Has This Ever Happened Before? / unreleased 4:03
05. Antelope - GPS / EP 1:42
06. Slim Harpo - I'm A King Bee (single version) / Raining In My Heart 3:04
07. Felt Letters - 600,000 Bands / single 4:07
08. Jimi Hendrix - Can You See Me (mono) / Are You Experienced 2:32
09. Pontiak - Shell Skull / Sun On Sun 4:01
10. The Big Bopper - Little Red Riding Hood / Hellooo Baby! 2:10
11. Chiefs - Tower 18 / Holly-West Crisis 2:04
12. The Minutemen - Joe McCarthy's Ghost / Paranoid Time 1:01
13. Red Cross - Annette's Got The Hits / Best of Rodney on the ROQ 1:11
14. Wire - Lowdown / Pink Flag 2:27
05. Marnie Stern - The Chronicles of Marnia / The Chronicles of Marnia 3:10
16. Thug - Dave's Back From Outer Space / Everything is Beautiful in Its Own Way
17. Motorhead - Stay Clean / No Remorse
01. The Ruts - In A Rut / Singles
02. Generation X - Too Personal / Generation X
03. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Upside Down / Power of Negative Thinking
04. Cornell Campbell - The Gorgon / I Shall Not Remove 1975-80
05. Astor Piazzolla - Knife Fight / The Rough Dancer and the Cyclical Night
06. The Sounds - Charlie Chan / My Doo-Wop Collection Series Vol. 2
07. Charlie Patton - Oh Death / The Definitive Charlie Patton
08. Scott Walker - My Death / Sings Jacques Brel
09. Janis Joplin - Down On Me / Joplin in Concert
10. Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire / Live at the Star Club
11. HTRK - Your Mistress / Marry Me Tonight
12. Vox Dei - Terroriste / BIPPP: French Synth Wave 1979-85
13. Keiko Higuchi - Too Much to Say Goodbye / Ephemeral as Petals
14. Bloody Amateur - Companions / 2013 Teen-Beat Portable Companion
15. The Obsessed - Touch Of Everything / The Church Within
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.