Fanatics! October Will Be a Great Month for Music for a Lot of Reasons
Photo by Heidi May
[Every Sunday from 8 to 10 p.m., Henry Rollins brings an exclusive mix of songs old and new to listeners at 89.9 FM, KCRW. Visit KCRW.com for more information and to stream his show online, or peruse the Radio Notes archives to see past playlists.]
RADIO BROADCAST #340
Fanatic! Welcome to our first October broadcast. It’s always a good month for music, of course, but there is something about October that makes music sound great.
We have been working for quite a while on our October shows. For me, it’s a month of memory. I listen to new music all the time, but in this month I like to listen to music I grew up with, trying to understand it differently — with a careful ear. It is a month I look forward to.
This will be a great month for music for a lot of reasons.
Fuzz II, the new album by Fuzz, is coming out at the end of the month. Fuzz II is being released in some really cool configurations. Not to spoil the fun (I will not divulge anything that I have not seen online), but there is a white vinyl run that was available on In the Red’s site that is now gone. Look for that at a unreasonable price on eBay by the end of the month. If you go to here, you will see a pre-order opportunity for a green vinyl pressing that is only available from them. Other versions are in the pipeline, so if you are so inclined, keep your eyes peeled. This record rules on vinyl.
The Teens of Style album by Will Toledo also comes out at the end of the month on Matador. We have been playing this one a lot; looking forward to finally hearing it on LP.
You know that band we listen to all the time, Soccer Team? They have a new album coming out at the end of the month on Dischord called Real Lessons In Cynicism , and it’s excellent. We will be getting into those tracks starting in November.
At least three reasons to go to the record store.
I hope you enjoy the program of tunes we have assembled for you. Until next week, stay loose and STAY FANATIC!!!
01. The Damned - Sick Of Being Sick / single
02. the Mob - Shuffling Souls / single
03. Buzzcocks – Breakdown / Spiral Scratch
04. The Ruts - In A Rut / singles collection
05. The Adverts - Safety in Numbers / singles collection
06. X-Ray Spex - I Am a Cliché / b-side of Oh Bondage
07. The UK Subs - Live In A Car / singles collection
08. The Panik - Modern Politics / Short Sharp Shock
09. Empire - Electric Guitar / Expensive Sound
10. Bad Brains - Black Dots / Black Dots
11. The Teen Idles - Trans Am / Dischord 100
12. The Untouchables - I Hate You / Flax Your Head
13. The Snakes - Twelve Angry Men / I Won’t Love You (Til You’re More Like Me)
14. One Last Wish - Burning in the Undertow / 1986
15. The Afflicted - Hippy Punk / Afflicted Man’s Bag
16. Killing Joke – Change / Killing Joke
17. The Misfits - Come Back / Static Age
01. MC5 - Ramblin' Rose / Kick Out the Jams
02. The Stooges - Shake Appeal / Raw Power
03. Chicos de Nazca - You Will Rise / You Will Rise
04. Paul Ngozi – Anasoni / The Ghetto
05. Creeping Pink - Come Into My World / Caped In At Mirror Woods
06. Car Seat Headrest - No Passion / Teens of Style
07. Hüsker Dü - Makes No Sense At All / single
08. The Cuban Heels - Do the Smok Walk / single
09. Casual Dots - Mama's Gonna Make Us a Cake / Casual Dots
10. Chain & The Gang - Curtain Pull / Minimum Rock n Roll
11. Bright Light Quartet - Hey, Hey, Honey / Southern Journey Vol. 8
12. Gun Club - Black Train / Fire of Love
13. Barcelona - Fabled Age / Simon Basic
14. Ivan - Real Wild Child / Lux and Ivy's Favorites Volume 10
15. Drinks - Spilt The Beans / Hermits On Holiday
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.