Fanatics! Nico, Bowie, Zeppelin, the Good Stuff
RADIO BROADCAST #240
Fanatics! How quickly the time passes. October is behind us. You might still be feeling the loss of Lou Reed. I hope last week's show made things a bit better. Thanks for all the calls and letters we got about it. It's been days now and I am still thinking about it. Last night, I listened to Street Hassle and Take No Prisoners, so great. We lost a big one but at least we still have the records.
As you can see below, we are easing into our late fall listening. Of course we have some Lou in our second hour as well as some Nico and Bowie, the good stuff.
The Melt-Banana album, Fetch, vinyl arrived at the office today. I went for it mail order when I saw the notice. They were going to make a clear vinyl run but apparently abandoned that idea. The first run is all in black.
For weeks, I worked on the November shows all at once in an effort to basically make one long show divided into four, two hour parts. I think I got a good overall happening that I hope you enjoy. November is an interesting month. I am looking forward to seeing where it takes me listening wise.
I was talking to Ian MacKaye the other day and told him that we had "Great Cop" in an upcoming show. He said something interesting that I thought you would enjoy hearing about. He said that he had the main parts of that song for a long time, all the way back to the short lived band Skewbald, which eventually released a two song single on Dischord. Some cool info on the band here. He said he would bring these parts into Fugazi practice and get voted down. Eventually, the rest of the band worked together and the parts became the main chunk of "Great Cop." I had never heard that story before. I wish we could play the Skewbald stuff but it's too FCC unfriendly.
I have been on a major Gun Club jag over the last few days. It's easy to get into, but it comes with a price. I will always be resentful that a band that good didn't reach more people. At least they reached you, so we have that going for us. I was listening to Pastoral Hide and Seek the other night, so great.
Last night, I went for Lou Reed's Street Hassle and Take No Prisoners back to back. Wow. I don't know if you have spent any time with those records but I think they're great. On Street Hassle, Bruce Springsteen does a great vocal at the end of the title track.
Tonight's standout track has to be Led Zeppelin at the Whisky. It sounds like there's at least thirty people there. It's so strange to hear one of the mightiest bands on earth be met with the dull roar of conversation between songs.
More Rowland Howard too. He's always great and perfect for this weather.
It's another great night of radio. Sunday night! You me, X & the YWB, flailing away in obscurity! Fanatics, I hope you enjoy the show, that's all this is about.
Until next week, keep well and STAY FANATIC!!!
See Henry's Tracklist Below
01. Iggy Pop - Funtime / The Idiot
02. Roxy Music - Virginia Plain / Roxy Music
03. Kraftwerk - Nummern / Computer Welt
04. Die Haut & Nick Cave - Pleasure Is The Boss / Burnin' The Ice
05. Conrad Schnitzler - 10 / 12 Stucke Aus Dem Jahr 1974
06. Miriam Makeba - Sibongile / Makeba!
07. Savages - I Am Here / Silence Yourself
08. Blonde Redhead - En Particulier / Melodie Citronique EP
09. Tuscadero - Poster Boy / Step Into My Wiggle Room
10. The Shangri-Las - He Cried / Myrmidons Of Melodrama
11. Rowland S. Howard - She Cried / Teenage Snuff Film
12. The Plugz - Hombre Secreto / Repo Man Soundtrack
13. Butch Willis & The Rocks - November Day / 1999 Teenbeat Sampler
14. Tom Waits - The Black Rider / November
15. The Tough & Lovely - Born of the Stars / Born of the Stars
01. Led Zeppelin - Killing Floor / Live At Whisky A Go-Go
02. Zedashe Ensemble - Elesa / Intangible Pearls
03. Ty Segall - Sleeper / Sleeper
04. The Warmers - Mad At The Man / The Warmers
05. Fugazi - Great Cop / In On The Kill Taker
06. Nico - The Sphinx / The Drama Of Exile
07. Lou Reed - Real Good Time Together / Street Hassle
08. David Bowie - Bombers - Hunky Dory
09. Melt-Banana - Left Dog (run, caper, run) / Fetch
10. Aidan Baker - Element #1 / I Wish Too, To Be Absorbed
11. MC5 - Looking At You / Back In The USA
12. Blind Willie & Kate McTell - Don't Let Nobody Turn You Around / Complete Works
13. The Fall - Paranoia Man In Cheap Sh*t Room / Fall Peel Sessions
14. Roky Erickson - I'm A Demon / Mad Dog
15. Black Sabbath- Never Say Die / Never Say Die!
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.