Fanatics! Intercontinental Face-Rocking Music From Japan and Beyond
Photo by Heidi May
[Every Sunday from 8 to 10 p.m., Henry Rollins brings an exclusive mix of songs old and new to listeners at 89.9 FM, KCRW. Visit KCRW.com for more information and to stream his show online, or peruse the Radio Notes archives to see past playlists.]
RADIO BROADCAST #376
Fanatic! Coming to you from a hotel somewhere near Heathrow Airport. Brentford! I have a great view of some highway. I am here until Friday morning, when we head over to the Download Festival. Saturday we will head to the Isle of Wight Festival for a show on Sunday. Saturday is a clear day off for us. As chance would have it, some guy named Iggy Pop is playing that night. Hello! Third time seeing him this year. I AM SO INTO THIS.
The new releases on Castle Face are worth checking out, including the new Male Gaze album King Leer and a live Oh Sees album that sounds great.
Also the full GØGGS album is ready for pre-order over at In the Red. It’s a great, noisy piece of work, and as you can imagine, we will be playing it quite a bit as we break into July and August.
Rocked the new VUM vinyl the other night. Cryptocrystalline. So great.
The new Dinosaur Jr. album, Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not, is ready for pre-order.
As I write this, Fanatic, I am listening to WAV files of the Boris/Merzbow collab four-LP thang called Gensho through the Soundmatters Dash7 small speaker system. I can’t speak highly enough about this super portable component, and no, they do not sponsor me. I spend so much of the year in small rooms and this has proven to be excellent road gear.
If you take even a nanosecond glimpse of our gathering of tunes below, I think you very well might concur that Engineer X, Engineer Am-Roc and I have put together a great two-hour block that we hope you will enjoy.
Also, I am subbing for Jarvis Cocker for all of the Sundays this month on BBC Radio 6. I think you can listen for free. I am making show notes for those shows as well. Here is last week’s.
I hope you are listening to music as often as you possibly can. I have been really busy and bouncing around a lot, so I am a little behind. I am going to try to catch up tonight and tomorrow.
Go tube analog and STAY FANATIC!!!
Follow me on Twitter: @henryrollins
01. Wire — The 15th / 154
02. Zigs Zags — Giving Up the Ghost / Running Out of Red
03. Free Time — Who Owns the Moon / In Search of Free Time
04. Molly Nilsson — Perfect Past / Sólo Paraíso – The Summer Songs EP
05. Cotton Candy — That Was Swedish / Top-Notch & First-Rate
06. The Saints — This Perfect Day (single version) / Saints box set
07. George Clinton — Atomic Dog / single
08. Slim Gaillard — Sukiyaki Cha-Cha / Slim Gaillard Rides Again
09. Alan Vega — Jajeemba / 2007
10. The Jesus & Mary Chain — The Living End / Peel Sessions
11. Metal Boys — Parlez Moi D'argent / Tokio Airport
12. Richard Berry & The Pharoahs — Louie, Louie / Have "Louie" Will Travel
13. Thin Lizzy — Jailbreak / At the BBC
14. The J.B.'s — Hot Pants Road / Food for Thought
15. The Ruts — In a Rut / Singles Collection
16. Boris — Heavy Rain / Gensho
01. Angry Angles — The 15th / single
02. The Cramps — Five Years Ahead of My Time / How to Make a Monster
03. The Velvet Underground — Lady Godiva's Operation (mono) / White Light/White Heat
04. The Sunnyboys — Happy Man / Sunnyboys
05. Kuupuu – Nüttyleikki / Kuupuu
06. The Fall — This Perfect Day / Peel Session
07. Rain – Rivers / Vache Qui Rit
08. The Birthday Party — The Friend Catcher / single
09. Eddy Current Suppression Ring — Wrapped Up / Primary Colours
10. The Germs — Circle One / Germs Complete
11. Motörhead — Louie, Louie / All the Aces
12. William Bell — Any Other Way / Soul of a Bell
13. Dick Diver — New Start Again / New Start Again
14. Black Sabbath — Turn Up the Night / Mob Rules
15. The Warmers — Red Light Runner / Wanted: More
16. Prince — Scarlet Pussy / I Wish U Heaven Part 1.2.3
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.