Fanatics! Henry Rollins' KCRW Show Tonight: Gray Joel, Melvins' Sugar Daddy Live
KCRW BROADCAST #114 for Saturday, May 14.
I am back from a few days in Louisiana and Florida. I am in one piece although my legs have been eaten by all manner of insects. We all got chewed upon quite a bit. Our cameraman Kris stood on fire ant hill and they really did a number on him. A very interesting few days. Since it's a National Geographic show, I will leave it to them to tell you what they want to tell you about it when they want to but so far, the footage we have gotten so far is really amazing. We have a long way to go before we're done. We will be shipping off to Vietnam and India in a few days. If I have time, I will be hitting the record stores whenever possible. Hopefully I will come back intact with some new jams for all.
Speaking of new jams, a lot of cool stuff here tonight.
The band Naam seemed interesting so I got their record and it's working for me, have a track from it tonight. The hardworking label Hyped To Death has released yet another in their Messthetics series. We have a track from Messthetics #108 tonight. This is one of my favorite labels. They scour the globe looking for the way out of print singles and smallest of small bands and get them back in print. I probably have almost every record they have ever released and am very happy to see this new addition.
Gray Joel, happening LA based poet weighs in tonight with a track from his CD The Well. A great track from Amédé Ardoin, who I know nothing about but Engineer X hooked me with this CD a few weeks ago and I am just checking it out now and it's really cool. Live Melvins from a new release on Ipecac, Mike Patton's happening label. A track tonight from the new Chain and The Gang album. That's Ian from Nation Of Ulysses, The Makeup, etc. Cool record.
If you notice, we have the smallest of concepts happening in hour two. I am liking the way this is sounding. Our first play of Alvarius B tonight. The vinyl was pressed in an edition of three hundred. It became damn near impossible to find almost immediately. I will have to live with my CD version.
As is our usual behavior, the music goes all over the place on our show tonight but I think it all works somehow. Fanatic, I hope you get a chance to listen. Lean towards the speakers and STAY FANATIC!!! --Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com, or follow him on Twitter @henryrollins.
Read on for Rollins' list of tracks:
01. Metal Urbain - Hystérie Connective / L'âge D'or
02. Whitehouse - The Second Coming / Dedicated To Peter Kurten
03. Roy Orbison - In Dreams / The All-Time Greatest Hits
04. Naam - Skyling Slip / Naam
05. Dax Riggs - Gravedirt On My Blue Suede Shoes / Say Good Night To The World
06. The Chefs - Commander Lonely / Messthetics #108
07. Gray Joel - Ashes / The Well
08. Amédé Ardoin - Les Blues Prison / Mama, I'll Be Long Gone: Complete Recordings 1929 - 1934
09. Melvins - You've Never Been Right / Sugar Daddy Live
10. Alan Vega - Ghostrider / Collision Drive
11. Count Basie & Jimmy Rushing - She's A Wino / 666
12. Chain And The Gang - Not Good Enough / Music's Not For Everyone
13. Dinosaur Jr - I Misunderstood / Beat The Retreat: Songs By Richard Thompson
14. Eartha Kitt - I Want To Be Evil / That Bad Eartha
15. Eater - Lock It Up / April 1977 Demos
16. Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile / Electric Ladyland
17. The Fall - Lost In Music / The Infotainment Scan
18. Omar Souleyman - Track 06 / title unreadable
19. Afflicted Man - I'm Afflicted / single
20. Alvarius B. - Face To Face With A Couple Of Axes / Baroque Primitiva
21. Richard Berry - Next Time / Get Out Of The Car
22. The Misfits - Spook City, USA / box set
23. Air Miami - Pucker / All Virgos Are Mad
24. Kas Product - Seldom, Often / By Pass
25. Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) / Electric Ladyland
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.