Fanatics! Henry Rollins' KCRW Show Tomorrow Night: Scandinavian Edition (Plus: Henry and the Flaming Lips???)
KCRW Broadcast #150 for Saturday, February 4, 2012
Fanatics! Coming to you from freezing Scandinavia! I am on a rare night off in Copenhagen, Denmark. Some amazing records stores up here, Fanatic!
Last several days have been fruitful on the endless record hunt. Holland, Belgium and Germany were very good to Road Manager Ward and I. Cosmic Jokers, Brigitte Fontaine, Toshi Ichiyanagi, Takehisa Kosugi, A really clean first UK pressing of Low by David Bowie, My Cat Is An Alien, Suicide's first album, German pressing -- never saw that one before.
I thought my present geographical location was the perfect jumping off point for a bit of a concept show and if you scan the tracks that we have for you, it is easy to see that we have done our level best to keep it all in Scandinavia.
Isn't swell how well J Mascis tunes up in the middle of Repulsion? Do you want to have your mind totally blown by how much Mascis-ness is available for free download? I would suggest you become a member. SO great!!!
Now, that Robert Pete Williams track is not meant to throw a wrench into our concept, it was actually recorded in Denmark in 1972.
This is a very interesting part of the world for music. A lot of what I find great is in our show tonight but there's even more. The offshoots of Family Underground (I love this band); Sarah's Charity and Silvercords are also excellent. I don't know if we have gotten to them yet. We will, of course.
This concept we're on here is a great excuse to play some really great Jazz music. A lot of BeBop fans up here and many of the heavyweights came up here to play. A bit of the evidence is in our show tonight.
In my life, I have spent quite a bit of time in this part of the world and I must say, it's truly amazing. The weather outside tonight is cold as you would imagine, within two blocks, you're really wishing you were inside but the air is so clear and the buildings look so cool all lit up, it's not a problem to be a little less than warm. You can have some great summer evenings up here as well, some parts are quite buggy though. One summer night in 1984 we crashed at a squat in Stockholm called the Ultra House. We were eaten alive by mosquitoes.
I bet you are really going to dig tonight's show. I am listening to the music tracks here in my hotel room and it's happening big time for me. Dolphy into Makeba? Uh, yeah!
I have been working on our two live shows coming up later this month, they are going to be way out there. I think you will enjoy the ride.
As a side note, I should tell you that earlier today, I was in a local studio here doing a little vocalizing for the Flaming Lips. Could be interesting!
Until next week, stay warm and STAY FANATIC!!! --Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com, or follow him on Twitter @henryrollins.
Read on for Henry's tracklisting.
01. Mercyful Fate - Evil / Melissa
02. The Sods - Flickering Eyes / Minutes To Go
03. Albert Ayler - Spirits / The Copenhagen Tapes
04. Älgarnas Trädgård - Rings Of Saturn / Garden Of The Elks
05. J Mascis - Repulsion / Oslo Norway 03-03-07
06. Eric Dolphy - Ann / Stockholm Sessions
07. Miriam Makeba - Click Song / At Bern's Salonger Stockholm 1966
08. Hanoi Rocks - Teenangels Outsiders / Oriental Beat
09. The Hellacopters - Move Right Out Of Here / single
10. Jimi Hendrix - The Burning Of The Midnight Lamp / Stockholm 1967
11. Robert Pete Williams - Texas Blues / Blues Masters
12. Pärson Sound - A Glimpse Inside The Glyptotec-66 / Pärson Sound
13. Family Underground - Small Case Across The Street / Nightflights To Venuses
14. Pekka Airaksinen - Fos 2 / Psychedelic Phinland
15. Ornette Coleman - European Echoes / At The Golden Circle Stockholm Vol. 1
16. Don Cherry - Dios E Diablo / Live At The Montmartre Vol. 1
17. Black Sabbath - N.I.B. / Lund Sweden 04-21-77
18. John Coltrane - Impressions / Stockholm 11-19-62
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.