Fanatics! Henry Rollins' KCRW Show Tomorrow Night: Henry's Live On Air With Rare Zein l'Abdin
KCRW Broadcast #152 for Saturday, February 18, 2012
Fanatics! I am sitting on the tour bus, behind the venue, here in Bologna, Italy. Show in about fifty minutes. After that, we sit here for a few hours and then drive to the airport. Road Manager Ward and I fly to Munich, Germany. After an eight hour layover, we fly to Los Angeles. We get in late this afternoon. I will keel over, wake up at some ridiculous hour of the morning fully rested and prepare this radio show to go to the station hours later. And then, with the magic of broadcasting, we will all be together, live on the radio.
Last night in Milano was my first ever talking show in Italy, it went really well. But let's get to the really important stuff here, shall we? As always, it's all about the music. Tomorrow night, all these jams are going to ROCK but will even more enhanced by the fact that we are all together live.
I don't think we have played A Warm Palindrome before. This band is yet another outlet for the very talented Phil Todd of Ashtray Navigations. Otherwise, it's a lot of our usual suspects that sound great on a Saturday night. Well, wait a minute, check track #24, that one is from a CD by Zein l'Abdin I picked up in Germany the other day, looked interesting and there is no way I couldn't bring you back some Kenyan Oud music! It's really great and I bet that Engineer X hasn't heard this one yet. It's rare that I can scoop him.
This is a great hang out around the radio or laptop mix. I have played this set in cold backstages over the last few days and it's really working. I know I say this about all of our sets but I dig them, Fanatic!
Ok, next week's show is already finished and it's a monster. It will also be live.
Until you hear my voice on the radio tomorrow night, it will be a cramped, pressurized and relatively sleepless time for me -- that is to say, the usual.
Get ready to go live and STAY FANATIC!!! --Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com, or follow him on Twitter @henryrollins.
Read on for Henry's tracklisting.
01. ZZ Top - Groovy Little Hippie Pad / El Loco
02. A Warm Palindrome - Shakuhachi / Three Owls Six Ears
03. Kim Salmon & The Surrealists - Intense / Hit Me With The Surreal Feel
04. Robert Fripp - Exposure / Exposure (2nd Mix)
05. Scientist - Saved By The Bell / Heavy Weight Dub Champion
06. Meat Puppets - Walking Boss / Meat Puppets
07. The Buzzcocks - I Need / Another Music In A Different Kitchen
08. The Big Bopper - Big Bopper's Wedding / Hellooo Baby!
09. Dinosaur Jr. - Gargoyle / Dinosaur Jr
10. The Mae Shi - The Universal Polymath / Heartbeeps
11. Fats Waller & His Rhythm - Got A Bran' New Suit / Early Years Pt. 2 ('35-'36)
12. Devo - Through Being Cool / New Traditionalists
13. Matador - Tote Stadt / Écoute
14. Miles Davis - Selim (Take 4B) / The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions
15. Procedure Club - Artificial Light / Doomed Forever
16. Frank Zappa & Mothers of Invention - Evelyn, A Modified Dog / One Size Fits All
17. Behemoth - XUL / Demigod
18. CAN - Moonshake / Future Days
19. Conrad Schnitzler - Track 04 / 12 Stucke Aus Dem Jahr 1974
20. Tangerine Dream - Wahn / Atem
21. Kluster - Track 11 / Admira
22. Kraftwerk - Metall Auf Metall / Trans Europa Express
23. Iggy Pop - The Passenger / Lust For Life
24. Zein l'Abdin - Chombo / The Swahili Song Songbook
25. Floor - Iron Girl / Floor
26. Como Fife & Drum Band - Late In The Evening / The George Mitchell Collection
27. The Zombies - Road Runner / Zombie Heaven (Disc 4: Live On The BBC)
28. UK Subs - She's Not There / Brand New Age
29. New York Dolls - Pills / New York Dolls
30. Minor Threat - Good Guys / Complete Discography
31. The Birthday Party - Loose / Peel Sessions
32. Dax Riggs - Skulls / 12-26-03 Toy's Music Center
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.