Fanatics! Henry Rollins' KCRW Show Tomorrow Night: Going in Deep With One Last Wish
KCRW Broadcast #178 for Saturday, August 25, 2012
Fanatics! Welcome to September. While I am sure it may still be hot where you are, it is in fact September and autumn is upon us. Tonight we transition into what will hopefully be the cooler weather.
We start tonight's show with the great voice of William S. Burroughs. I don't know if we have ever played him on our show before besides perhaps from the Laurie Anderson album Gravity's Rainbow that features his vocals.
One of my favorite Doors songs is featured on their Morrison Hotel album. "Indian Summer," a beautiful vocal and fitting for the weather that we still face.
When I think of school starting, the leaves turning color and all the boredom that came with my young life, I always think of the Ramones song "I Just Wanna Have Something to Do." This song sets up the mood of the evening. What Guy Picciotto got at with his lyric "restless movement in an empty room."
If our show tonight feels like a cool mix tape, that is EXACTLY what I was going after. Most of the time, that's all I am trying to make. I think cassette when I am putting together these shows. It's a C-90 to me, Fanatic!
More weather is finally cooling sounds bring us to the end of hour/side 1.
Now, you will notice that we are going deep in on One Last Wish. Yes, we are going to listen to their album, 1986, all the way through. All twenty-four minutes of it. To me, this is excellent early fall listening. If you remember last week, we finished out with Rites of Spring, and Happy Go Licky. As you can see now, there was a bit of a concept happening there.
Rites of Spring turned into Happy Go Licky and then Mike Fellows left the band. They recruited Mike Hampton to play guitar and renamed themselves One Last Wish. I saw their first show in October of 1986. They recorded with at Inner Ear Studios and I think then they broke up. The tape sat for years unreleased. I had the songs on cassette and played it all the time and hoped that one day they would release the album. Finally that happened.
They were together for a few months and only played a few shows but what a great album they left behind. I try to limit myself to only listening to this album in the autumn. Since I saw them in October, that's the time of year I have them pegged, so I thought it would be cool to check them out tonight.
As you know, the FYF Fest is happening this weekend. I am sure that many of will be there as this show is on the air. I thought it would be good to play some of the bands that will be on the bill, I think we covered that with Redd Kross, Black Dice and Dinosaur Jr.
We finish with a great Rolling Stones track and a bit of history with the Manifesto track. After One Last Wish broke up, half of the band became some band called Fugazi and Mike Hampton started Manifesto. We close out the night with Nick Cave covering "The Carnival Is Over" to hopefully drive nails into the coffin of summer.
Remember, next week is our Hendrix / Dinosaur Jr. show. It's going to be a great one.
I got some letters asking about Joel Fanatic From Ohio's new book. Here's that information.
Also, an interview I just did for Food Is The New Rock.
Have a great weekend and STAY FANATIC!!! --Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com, or follow him on Twitter @henryrollins.
Read Henry's tracklist below.
01. William S. Burroughs - What Keeps Mankind Alive? / September Songs: The Music Of Kurt Weill
02. The Doors - Indian Summer / Morrison Hotel
03. The Ramones - I Just Wanna Have Something to Do / Road To Ruin
04. The Snakes - Six O'Clock / I Won't Love You (Til You're More Like Me)
05. Empire - Electric Guitar / Expensive Sound
06. Wire - Used To / Chairs Missing
07. Melt-Banana - Key Is A Fact That A Cat Brings / Cell-Scape
08. The Mob - Witch Hunt / Let The Tribe Increase
09. The Skunks - Good from the Bad
10. U.K. Subs - Live In A Car / The Singles
11. Leyton Buzzards - 19 And Mad / Small Wonder: Punk Singles Collection
12. The Untouchables - I Hate You / Flex Your Head
13. David Bowie - Beauty and the Beast / Heroes
14. Iggy Pop - The Passenger / Lust For Life
15. Trouble Funk - Trouble Funk Express / Singles
01. One Last Wish - Hide / 1986
02. One Last Wish - Burning in the Undertow / 1986
03. One Last Wish - Break to Broken / 1986
04. One Last Wish - Friendship is Far / 1986
05. One Last Wish - My Better Half / 1986
06. One Last Wish - Loss Like A Seed / 1986
07. One Last Wish - Three Unkind Silences / 1986
08. One Last Wish - Shadow / 1986
09. One Last Wish - Sleep of the Stage / 1986
10. One Last Wish - One Last Wish / 1986
11. One Last Wish - This Time / 1986
12. One Last Wish - Home is the Place / 1986
13. Red Cross - Annette's Got the Hits / Annette's Got the Hits EP
14. Black Dice - Glazin / Repo
15. Albert Ayler - Ghosts / Love Cry
16. Dinosaur Jr. - There's No Here / Farm
17. Rolling Stones - Shattered / Some Girls
18. Manifesto - Cut and Dry / Manifesto
19. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Carnival Is Over / Kicking Against The Pricks
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.