Fanatics! Henry Rollins' KCRW Show Tomorrow Night: Dinosaur Jr., Six Major Guitar Players
KCRW BROADCAST #120 for Saturday, June 25.
Fanatics! Writing to you from the upper level of Terminal Five here in New York City. We are in night four of this amazing Dinosaur Jr. tour. The band has been raising the bar every night and the shows are getting more and more cranked up. Last night's version of "Don't" was blistering. J Mascis is a major guitar player and it's so great to hear him rip it every night. Lou on bass and Murph on drums are so tight and powerful. It's been fantastic thus far.
Last night, Keith Morris and his band Off! Joined the tour. What a band! They killed last night. Can't wait to see them again tonight.
I bet you have already glanced down and seen quite a few Dinosaur Jr. titles in our first hour. It's a bit of a concept tonight. Since the band will be playing Bug all week, so shall we. We will plunge into this great 1988 indie classic before we move onwards. The studio album is tremendous and live, these songs jump up big time.
Reindeer Flotilla, Geoff Grayson & Clark Chimp
TicketsThu., Mar. 23, 7:30pm
The Game of Thrones Live Concert Experience
TicketsThu., Mar. 23, 8:00pm
TicketsThu., Mar. 23, 9:00pm
Jacquees, Birdman, Rich Homie Quan, Lloyd
TicketsThu., Mar. 23, 9:00pm
TicketsFri., Mar. 24, 7:00pm
We will get shoulder deep in the loudness of the Dino for our entire first hour and then ...
And then we move onto a different concept. Six songs with six major guitar players. I don't know how many of you Fanatics search out Hendrix bootlegs but you know me, I am always looking to hear more of Mr. Hendrix. Ian MacKaye, another Jimi fan just laid on me, several hours of Hendrix jammage that I had never heard before, so we will start our second hour with one of those jams. I think you're going to like this one!
We go from there to dig some Rowland S Howard, get crashed into by Robert Fripp, back into it with some serious J Mascis and then into a jam featuring one of my favorite guitar players, the late great James Gurley, who passed away in December of 2009. Listen to the tone on this guy!! We finish with a Tom Waits tune that features the brilliance of Keith Richards. Richards does great work on this Waits track. He knows when not to play and adds perfect nuance to this already amazing track. Richards is one of the truly great musicians of our time.
Please listen to the show if you can and when you do, listen as loud as possible. Until next week when we will all be together again live, stay loose and STAY FANATIC!!! --Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com, or follow him on Twitter @henryrollins.
Read on for Henry's tracklisting:
01. Dinosaur Jr. - Freak Scene / Bug
02. Dinosaur Jr. - No Bones / Bug
03. Dinosaur Jr. - They Always Come / Bug
04. Dinosaur Jr. - Yeah We Know / Bug
05. Dinosaur Jr. - Let It Ride / Bug
06. Dinosaur Jr. - Pond Song / Bug
07. Dinosaur Jr. - Budge / Bug
08. Dinosaur Jr. - The Post / Bug
09. Dinosaur Jr. - Don't / Bug
10. Dinosaur Jr. - Keep the Glove / Fossils
11. Dinosaur Jr. - Just Like Heaven / Fossils
12. Dinosaur Jr. - Chunks / Fossils
13. Dinosaur Jr. - Throw Down / Fossils
14. Dinosaur Jr. - In A Jar / You're Living All Over Me
15. Jimi Hendrix - New Rising Sun (M.L.K) / Villanova Junction
16. Rowland S. Howard - Breakdown / Teenage Snuff Film
17. King Crimson - Red / Red
18. Dinosaur Jr. - Alone / Hand It Over
19. Big Brother & The Holding Company - Ball And Chain / Cheap Thrills
20. Tom Waits - Downtown Train / Rain Dogs
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.