Fanatics! Henry Rollins' KCRW Show Tomorrow Night: Cuba Libre
KCRW Broadcast #141 for Saturday, November 19, 2011
Fanatics! I am writing to you from the business center in a hotel in Havana. I got here a few hours ago. I had enough time to drive around town for a few hours and get some food. Tomorrow, I will be out all day, checking out the sights.
Tomorrow's show has some Cuban flavor. I wish it had more actual Cuban music, but hopefully I will be able to get some more of that here. I went to a market today and there were some CD stalls but it was mostly knock-offs of popular American artists.
Havana, from what I have seen so far, is a little worn in places but overall, really beautiful. There are not many cars on the roads and the sky is very blue. As I told you, I just arrived, so I have not seen much yet. I will know more in the days to come.
What do know a bit more about is the greatness of the music we have lined up for you tonight.
Finally, the Vum album is out. It's a local LA-area band that I think is really great and their album Night Sun is in high rotation at my place. The later at night you play it, the better it works.
Here's some info from the Vum site: the vinyl will be at Amoeba, Vacation Vinyl, Mono Records, Vinyl Solution, & Fingerprints, & also available via mail-order. Here's their Bandcamp site. You should note that the LP was only pressed in an edition of 300. If you want to get on that, now is better than later. You can check them out easily right here.
I think my personal favorite of the night might be that live Nancy Wilson track. Great timbre to her voice there. More Googoosh tonight, that's a great album that I hope you get a chance to get into.
Look at this list of tunes! It's going to be a great one, Fanatic! When I get done writing this, I am going to go into my small, airless room and listen to all these songs and dig it all just one more time. I wish I could be in the studio live with you all but I will next week. The Big Three will back at it live, lowering the standards of KCRW one song at a time.
Thanks for showing up last week at Amoeba (Jamoeba) for our somewhat chaotic live show. Not all that easy keeping a grip on things with an engineer I don't work with often and a live audience, but I think we got through it okay.
I have to get up early and so I better get into sleep mode as soon as I can. I leave you in the good hands of all this great music in the hopes that it takes good care of you.
Until next week, stay alive and STAY FANATIC!!! --Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com, or follow him on Twitter @henryrollins.
Read on for Henry's tracklisting.
01. The Ramones - Havana Affair / Ramones
02. The Cubans - You've Been Gone So Long / Flash Records
03. The Cuban Heels - Do the Smok Walk / single
04. Slim Gaillard - Cuban Rhumbarini / 1945 Vol. 2
05. The Royal Holidays - Down In Cuba / Herald Records Pt. 2
06. Gene Freeman - Fidel Castro / Automatic Bop - Volume 2
07. Chuck Berry - Havana Moon / Greatest Hits
08. Vum - Remember Me / Night Sun
09. Dax Riggs - Forgot I Was Alive / We Sing Of Only Blood Or Love
10. Black Tambourine - Can't Explain (Lost Inner Ear Mix) / cassette
11. Iggy & The Stooges - Shake Appeal (alt. mix) / Raw Power
12. Nancy Wilson - Just Go / Live From Las Vegas
13. Jimi Hendrix - The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice (mono) / single
14. Googoosh - Bemoun Ta Bemounam / Googoosh
15. The Velvet Underground - The Black Angel's Death Song (mono) / The Velvet Underground & Nico
16. Japandroids - Heart Sweats / Japandroids
17. Tom Waits - Pay Me / Bad As Me
18. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Stranger Than Kindness / Your Funeral...My Trial
19. PJ Harvey - Bitter Branches / Let England Shake
20. Fat Worm Of Error - Red Melting Plastic Box / Pregnant Babies Pregnant With Pregnant Babies
21. Hawkwind Sonic Attack Space Ritual
22. Ibrahim Ferrer - Nuestra Última Cita / Buena Vista Social Club Presents
23. Thee Oh Sees - Crushed Grass / Carrion Crawler-The Dream EP
24. Boris - Pink / Pink 4:20
25. The Meters - Can You Do Without? / Fire On The Bayou
26. David Bowie - Black Country Rock / The Man Who Sold The World
27. The Buzzcocks - Lipstick / Love Bites
28. Magazine - Shot By Both Sides (single version) / Real Life
29. Crystal Castles - Fainting Spells / Crystal Castles
30. Ween - Hey There Fancy Pants / Quebec
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.