Fanatics! Henry Rollins' KCRW Show Tomorrow Night: Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday
KCRW Broadcast #155 for Saturday, March 10, 2012
Fanatics! I am writing you from the backstage area of the House of Blues down here in Orlando FL. The next four shows are in the Sunshine State. So far, the US leg of the tour has been going very well. Last night was Athens, GA and as usual, a great time was had.
Tomorrow night's selection has your enjoyment at the forefront of our considerations and I must say, we have a tremendous two hours for you. Many of the players you will be familiar with, some perhaps not. I don't know if we have ever had a track with the very talented Jon Spencer on our show before, tonight we take of that.
We are obviously into a Charlie Parker thing as of late, the Bird keeps showing up on our play list, I hope you don't mind. The Nile track was a special request from Jason Bentley. As you know, he digs the heaviest of metal music. Interesting that he doesn't seem to get much of it on his show, Morning Becomes Eclectic. Perhaps it's time Mr. B, as we sometimes call him, addresses his great love of this particular genre and the large Motley Crue tattoo on his back (Shout at the Devil era) that he only reveals when sunning himself on the beaches of Cannes or at corporate events.
Oh, look! All the way at the bottom of the set, it's Generation X, featuring the great Billy Idol and then Rowland S Howard covering a Billy Idol song. We end the night with a beautiful Billie Holiday track. I used to see John Lee Hooker whenever I could and often, he would play "I Cover The Waterfront" and for me, it was the highlight of the show. Perhaps I will bring in a recording of one of those shows one day.
Fanatics, I think we have a show that will keep you in good stead until we meet again. Oh, remember, April 7th, Ian MacKaye will be in the Jasonic Temple with us live. The Fantastic Fo! Until next week, hail the Bentley and STAY FANATIC!!! --Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com, or follow him on Twitter @henryrollins.
Read on for Henry's tracklisting.
01. The Cramps - Domino / Gravest Hits +
02. Weirdos - Jungle Rock / Destroy All Music
03. The Fall - White Lightning / White Lightning
04. Alan Vega - Be-Bop-A-Lula / Jukebox Babe
05. Birthday Party - Cat Man / The Birthday Party
06. Black Flag - Louie Louie / The First Four Years
07. Devo - Growing Pains / Shout
08. Iggy Pop - Livin' on the Edge of the Night / Black Rain soundtrack
09. Unrest - Yes She Is My Skinhead Girl / International Hip Swing
10. Mount Powell School, Alabama - Jack, Can I Ride / From Lullabies to Blues
11. Thee Oh Sees - A Flag In The Court / Help
12. Jon Spencer/Solex - Complication / Silver Monk Time
13. Cosmic Jokers - Loving Frequencies / Planeten Sit-In
14. Pierced Arrows - Ain't Life Strange / Descending Shadows
15. Public Image Ltd. - Low Life / Public Image
16. The Raincoats - Black And White / The Raincoats
17. Ata Ebtakar aka Sote - Synthetic Overture (Satan's Lullaby) / Persian Electronic Music
18. Parlet - Watch Me Do My Thang / Play Me Or Trade Me
19. Charlie Parker - Bebop - A / Complete Savoy And Dial Studio Recordings
20. Edna Gallmon Cooke - At The Gate / Precious Memories: Ladies Of Gospel
21. Nile - The Black Flame / Black Seeds of Vengeance
22. New York Dolls - Subway Train / New York Dolls
23. Jimi Schlesinger - Seem Svetlana / Choubi dam
24. King Tubby & Soul Syndicate - Dub The Right Way / Freedom Sounds In Dub
25. The Koala - Strange Feelings / The Koala
26. Ronnie Molleen - Rockin' Up / The King Federal Rockabillys
27. Organisation (Kraftwerk) - Silver Forest / Tone Float
28. Gladys Knight and the Pips - Stop Running Around / Letter Full of Tears
29. Rowland S. Howard - White Wedding / Teenage Snuff Film
30. Generation X - Listen / Generation X
31. Billie Holiday - I Cover The Waterfront / Complete on Verve 1945-1959
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.
More Music News
- Hear L.A. Doom-Metalers Ancient Altar's Bleak, Majestic Dead Earth (PREMIERE)
Tue., Sep. 1, 10:30pm
Wed., Sep. 2, 7:00pm
Wed., Sep. 2, 7:30pm
Wed., Sep. 2, 9:00pm
- La Santa Cecilia Finds Success Repping L.A's Cultural Hodgepodge
- A Year After the Death of Bassist Ventura XIII, Black Lodge Returns (PREMIERE)