Fanatics! Henry Rollins' KCRW Show Tomorrow Night: An Ian MacKaye Wrap-Up and Loads of Great, New Music
KCRW BROADCAST #211
Fanatics! I hope you had a chance to listen to last week's show by now. Ian MacKaye was our guest and like last year, it was a great night that went by all too quickly. I didn't want to spoil the fun by putting what songs we were going to play and many of you Fanatics have written in, asking if we would put up the track list from the show. I think this is it, there might be an extra song in there that we didn't get to but this is pretty close:
01. Booker T. & The MG's - Green Onions / Stax Revue Live At The 5/4 Ballroom
02. Vile Cherubs - Man With A Photograph / The Man Who Has No Eats Has No Sweats
03. Q and Not U - Kiss Distinctly / No Kill No Beep Beep
04. Lungfish - Wailing Like Dragons / Feral Hymns
05. Radio Birdman - New Race / Radios Appear
06. Black Eyes - Drums / Cough
07. Follow Fashion Monkeys - Menagerie / Unreleased session
08. Slant 6 - Double Edged Knife / Soda Pop-Rip Off
09. Stooges - Where You From / It's About Time
10. Eddy Current Suppression Ring - She's Dancing Away / So Many Things
11. Ramsey Lewis - Hang On Sloopy / Hang On Ramsey
01. Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same / 05-25-77 Cap. Centre
02. Happy Go Licky - Twist And Shout - Happy Go Licky Will Play
03. Medications - The Perfect Target / 5 Songs
04. SPRCSS - Ours Is Expanding Light / May 2010
05. Funkadelic - Free Your Mind and Your Ass Will Follow / Live: Rochester, MI 9-12-71
06. The Nurses - DYF / Single
07. Nation Of Ulysses / SS Exploder - Plays Pretty For Baby
08. Red C - Pressure's On / demo?
09. Rocket From The Crypt - Pressure's On / All Systems Go
Ian comes from a very interesting place in music. It's all great and so effortlessly eclectic.
So, tonight, we are back live and do we have a line up of tunes for you, Fanatic! New stuff by Thee Oh Sees, White Fence and White Mystery along with some an earlier Ty Segall track. We just got more new Ty jams from Larry at In The Red and we will get one of the tracks to you soon. It's going to be a great summer for music.
It's been awhile since we have played anything with Vice Cooler in it, so we get to some Kit tonight and of course, we can't stay too far away from the new Marnie Stern, so tonight, another track from Chronicles.
Soon, we will have a lot of new Stooges for you when their new album Ready To Die is released at the end of the month on Fat Possum.
Tonight's Birthday Party track is a b-side, I believe. I always liked this one because it was one of the lesser known tracks of theirs. And I don't think we have played anything by The Mallard on our show. Tonight, we do it. Great album.
We finish the last part of our first hour with a Happy Birthday Ian block, a few days out from his 51st birthday. Some songs he and I grew up listening to that I think you are familiar with and that you will dig. I am sorry the Cramps never did a formal release of "Rocket In My Pocket." They used to play it a lot when we first started seeing them. I forget which vinyl bootleg I took this from but I know we have played it before. Damn, do I miss this band.
If you notice in our second hour, we get into Mr. Hendrix yet again. This is a jam called "Calling All Devil's Children" or "Devil Jam," depending what bootleg you are listening to. There are several versions of this of varying quality on a ton of Hendrix boots so I took the one that sound the best all the way through. This one should get a proper release instead of all those barrel scrapings that the Hendrix estate insists on putting out. This jam sounds like it was done in the same spirit as "The Stars That Play With Laugh Sam's Dice."
More new VUM and Scott Walker. What a badass he is. What an amazing album Bish Bosch is.
We might be playing this Felt Letters track too often but I can't leave it alone, it's just too cool. Ian Svenonius will be with his band the Make Up in Pomona at the Glass House on the 16th. Make on the 16th, the Evens in LA on the 17th? How cool is that?
You are going to love the Peter King track we have for you. I think it's from the Omo Lewa album, which I have never heard and can't find anywhere. Thankfully, there are a ton of cool comps that Engineer X and I keep picking up and this was on one of them. I think that's the only way I have heard his music. He's on at least three of those Nigerian comps that have been released over the last few years. It sounds like it could have been on a Tony Allen album.
The Suicide track might jump out at you as somewhat unfamiliar. It's the audio from an appearance the band made on the Midnight Rock show one hundred years ago. I pulled it off a video tape years ago. The visual is amazing, so intense.
We leave you with the Electric Eels and brace ourselves for whatever Jason Bentley has in store for us. I hear the first track of his show is a real knock out.
I am writing these notes in the lobby of a hotel in Bloomington, IL where I have a show tonight but I will be back with Engineer X the Young Will Bentley and of course, you Fanatic. Prepare to rock and STAY FANATIC!!!
See Henry's tracklist below:
01. Thee Oh Sees - I Come From The Mountain / Floating Coffin
02. White Fence - Chairs In The Dark / Cyclops Reap
03. Ty Segall - You're Not Me - Ty Segall
04. White Mystery - Hey Shirley / Telepathic
05. Kit - Merticane / Invocation
06. Marnie Stern - Nothing Is Easy / The Chronicles of Marnia
07. Iggy Pop - Loco Mosquito / Soldier
08. Johnny Dollar - Action Packed / Mr. Action Packed
09. The Birthday Party - Blundertown / Prayers On Fire
10. Mika Miko - Challenge the Throne / Siked Psych: NOTNOTFUNGOLD
11. The Mallard - You Got The Critics / Yes On Blood
12. The Retreds - Black Mona Lisa / Back From The Grave - Volume 4
13. U.K. Subs - Same Thing / She's Not There EP
14. The Damned - Creep (You Can't Fool Me) / Music For Pleasure
15. The Sods - Pathetic / Minutes to Go
16. Cramps - Rocket In My Pocket / bootleg
17. The Teen Idles - Get Up And Go / 20 Years Of Dischord
01. Jimi Hendrix - Calling All Devil's Children / Midnight Shines Down
02. VUM - Are You Animal / Single
03. Scott Walker - Phrasing / Bish Bosch
04. Karate - New New / Little Darla Has A Treat For You, Vol. 7
05. The Firesign Theatre - Minority Street / Dear Friends
06. Felt Letters - 4600,000 Bands
07. Peter King - Ajo / Africa Funk
08. Dinosaur Jr. - Pierce The Morning Rain / I Bet On Sky
09. Dax Riggs Living Is Suicide We Sing Of Only Blood Or Love
10. Suicide - Ghost Rider (Live on Midnight Rock) / video
11. Brigitte Fontaine - Tanka II / Comme A La Radio
12. The Electric Eels - Agitated / Eyeball of Hell
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.