Fanatics! Henry Rollins' KCRW Show Tomorrow Night: A Time Change and Curtis Mayfield
KCRW BROADCAST #131 for Saturday, September 10
Fanatics! I'm writing to you from Port Au Prince, Haiti. I have been here for about a week now and tomorrow will be flying back to Los Angeles, getting a few hours of sleep, and then coming into the studio at our new time of 8 pm to do the show with you live.
As you know, last week we listened to some vintage Haitian music. Tonight, we will address some things that I have been thinking about since I got here; that's why we are starting and ending our show with Curtis Mayfield. You will see some writing about Haiti and Mr. Mayfield in my next LA Weekly piece. You will be able to read that online a week from today.
I love this set of tunes we have going here and I hope that, by the end of the show, you will feel the same way about all the tracks we played. I have been building this show slowly in my hotel room at night, when things quiet down.
I have been going out every day into the city and outlying areas to see what I can, learn, and hopefully be of some use. I went out yesterday, armed with soap and soccer balls. It's still very rough. There's a lot of work that needs to be done. I see a lot of NGO's here, so maybe things are on the move. I have spoken to a lot of people who say things are better but there's still a long way to go. If we get time during the show, I will talk about it a little.
If you notice our tracks below, there's nothing but greatness coming your way. I think you are going to dig this one. We have not visited early Birthday Party for a long time, so we addressed that as you can see. What a song! Also, it's been a while since I checked out that Ornette comp. I always find myself staying inside that massive box set on Atlantic.
Book Info Dept.: Pre-order information for Occupants, my new book.
News That You Will Want To Make Note Of Dept.: Starting tomorrow, September 10, our show moves to the 8-10 pm time slot on Saturday. Same night, two hours later. Liza will be taking the 6-8 pm shift. These are orders from the top. Engineer X seems ready to go with it but I have not yet spoken to The Double B about it. Hopefully, you will be able to stick with us in this new time assignment.
I am looking forward to being with you live in the studio starting at our new time so tune in and STAY FANATIC!!! --Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com, or follow him on Twitter @henryrollins.
Read on for Henry's tracklisting:
01. Curtis Mayfield - Wild And Free / Curtis
02. Boris - Title in Japanese / Heavy Rocks
03. Philip Cohran & The Artistic Heritage Ensemble - Malcolm X / Malcolm X Memorial
04. Black Eyes - Another Country / Cough
05. U.K. Subs - Brand New Age / Brand New Age
06. Young Prisms - Sugar / Friends For Now
07. Frank Zappa & Captain Beefheart - 200 Years Old / Bongo Fury
08. Wolfgang Riechman - Abendlicht / Wunderbar
09. Scorpions - Robot Man / In Trance
10. Kinski - Dayroom At Narita Int'l / Down Below It's Chaos
11. Japandroids - Coma Complacency / No Singles
12. Fats Waller & His Rhythm - Headlines In The News / Last Years ('40-'43)
13. Behemoth - Before The Acons Came / Demigod
14. William Bell - Any Other Way / Soul Of A Bell
15. Artificial Peace - Outside Looking In / Complete Session November 81
16. Ann Brewer & The Flames - Rockin' In A Wooden Shack Automatic Bop - Vol. 1
17. Birthday Party - The Friend Catcher / The Birthday Party
18. Wire - Clay / Red Barked Tree
19. David Bowie - Blackout / Heroes
20. Ornette Coleman - The Jungle Is A Skyscraper / Complete Science Fiction Sessions
21. Maybe It's Reno - Days Like Cups / Maybe It's Reno
22. The Fontaine Toups - TFT / TFT
23. The Fall - Birthday Song (New Mix) ("F-'Oldin' Money" B-Side) / The Marshall Suite
24. Hallelujah Chicken Run Band - Mudzimu Ndiringe / Chicken Run
25. The Beatles - Glass Onion / Whitology
26. Chrome - You've Been Duplicated / Half-Machine Lip Moves
27. Deerhoof - Queen Orca Wicca Wind / Halfbird
28. Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up / Curtis
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.