Fanatics! Henry Rollins' KCRW Show Tomorrow Night: A Stooges-Heavy Mixtape
KCRW Broadcast #191 for Saturday, November 24, 2012
Fanatics! This started off as one thing and ended up being another. Initially, this show was based around the fact that the Stooges were playing in Los Angeles on this night at the Staples Center with Morrissey going on later as the fluffy post Stooges filler. Then, Morrissey canceled and for some reason, the entire show was called off. How weak!
So now, we have this very nice, Stooges-heavy and all-around blunt instrument hard rockin' two hours to help us feel better about being denied a Stooges show. After I heard the awful news that we were not going to be getting to see the Heavyweight Champion of Rock & Roll, I went into emergency management mode and made the show that will bludgeon our broken hearts back together again with. I think you know very well all the bands and artists we have on our list tonight, so consider this a great mix tape.
I wanted to give you a heads up on what is to be in the month of December!!!
December happens to be a five Saturday month, Fanatic. I thought it would be a great idea to have some fun with that and I believe I have hit on an idea that you will find much to your liking. Let's hope so, it wasn't easy to put it all together. These shows have been in prep mode for months.
We will be listening to a David Bowie album in the second hour of each show. They are as follows: Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Lodger and Scary Monsters. What makes it all the more interesting is that we will be listening to the original German RCA CD pressings of these albums. These are regarded by Bowie collectors as the best sounding of all the digital versions released. I went looking around on the internet for people's opinions and there are some strong ones out there! People seem to like the Ryko masterings ok and seem to have bristling contempt for the Virgin masterings. I always thought those sounded close to my LP versions where the Ryko ones didn't. Anyway, every opinion I was able to find concluded that the RCA Germany masterings from 1984 seemed to be the best sounding ones. So, I started searching them out. It took several weeks but finally I was able to gather them and it all rolls out in December.
In the other hours, we have so much new stuff to choose from, I will be leaving it open ended until I get back to my office where I will be able to go through all the stuff that has been coming in over the last few months. I really hope you get a chance to check out all of our December shows. They will be awesome and extremely fanatic.
My San Francisco and Los Angeles shows start now. Looking forward to all of that and absolutely looking forward to making these December shows 100% excellent.
Get ready for the return of the Thin White Duke and STAY FANATIC!!! --Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com, or follow him on Twitter @henryrollins.
Read Henry's tracklist below.
01. Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power / Raw Power
02. Iggy & The Stooges - Search And Destroy / Raw Power
03. Iggy & The Stooges - Shake Appeal / Raw Power
04. Iggy & The Stooges - Death Trip / Raw Power
05. Led Zeppelin - Heart Breaker / Led Zeppelin
06. Black Sabbath - Sweet Leaf / Master Of Reality
07. James Brown - Sex Machine / Revolution of the Mind
08. Die Cheerleader - Massive Tangled Muscle / Son of Filth
09. Heart - Barracuda / Best Of
10. Public Enemy - Brothers Gonna Work It Out / Fear of a Black Planet
01. Iggy & The Stooges - I Got A Right / single
02. Iggy & The Stooges - Gimme Danger / Raw Power
03. Iggy & The Stooges - Penetration / Raw Power
04. Iggy & The Stooges - Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell / Raw Power
05. New York Dolls - Personality Crisis / New York Dolls
06. The Saints - (I'm) Stranded / (I'm) Stranded
07. Rick James - Below The Funk (Pass The J) / Street Songs
08. The Runaways - Cherry Bomb / Dazed & Confused
09. Ramones - Psycho Therapy / Subterranean Jungle
10. Motorhead - The Hammer / Ace of Spades
11. Cheap Trick - He's A Whore / Cheap Trick
12. The Pretenders - The Wait / No Thanks! The '70s Punk Rebellion
13. The Viletones - Rebel / A Taste Of Honey
14. AC/DC - Highway to Hell / Highway to Hell
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.