Fanatics! Henry Rollins' KCRW Show Saturday Night: Happy Birthday, Ian MacKaye
KCRW BROADCAST #110 for Saturday, April 16.
Fanatics! It is Record Store Day. It is also Ian MacKaye's birthday. Today, Ian hits the deck at forty-nine years of age. I believe he will be at the Coachella Festival this weekend so we send our greetings and congrats from here.
Tonight is a bit of a concept show that I have been working on for some time. It's a short history of me and Ian's journey through music into music written, performed and produced by Ian. I don't think there's anything here that isn't somewhat familiar to you besides maybe the Rozzlyn Rangers track from the Dischord box set. You might not have heard the Fugazi Peel Sessions with the clarity that you will tonight as these were taken off the master. They are amazing as you can imagine.
I am back from all the shows and will be in Los Angeles for at least a little while. I would like to thank all of you who came out to see me, it was a great time and always an honor to be in front of you.
I will be leaving on Sunday the 17th for a few days. As you might know, I will be hosting the Stooges show in Ann Arbor, Michigan as we celebrate the life of Ron Asheton. I have written a thing that I'll read, as Ron's sister has asked me to. Then the good part starts when the Stooges hit stage. I am sure it's going to be one for the books.
I will be coming back right after that and we will be back together again on the radio next weekend. I am sure I will have some stories to tell. We might have to Stooge out a little next Saturday in order to decompress.
I hope you enjoy tonight's show in the spirit that it is intended. It's not all over the place as we sometimes are but it's a good thing and I think that all the songs play well together. I wanted to do something cool for Ian's birthday and for you too, course.
I will be at Amoeba Records before tonight's show. I will play music from 2 to 3 pm and then hang out from 3 to 4 pm and then it's off to the radio show. Should be a busy and sleep free environment for a few days. Stay up late and STAY FANATIC!!! --Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com
Read on for Rollins' list of tracks:
01. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced (mono) / Are You Experienced?
02. Led Zeppelin - Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman) / Led Zeppelin II
03. Queen - Sheer Heart Attack / News Of The World
04. The Damned - Creep (You Can't Fool Me) / Music For Pleasure
05. The Buzzcocks - Fast Cars / Another Music In A Different Kitchen
06. Eater Outside View / Eater - Album, Singles
07. The Ruts - In A Rut / The Punk Singles Collection
08. U.K. Subs - Same Thing / Brand New Age
09. Adverts - Safety in Numbers / Singles Collection
10. Sham 69 - Red London / Singles
11. Wire - 12XU / Pink Flag
12. The Saints - Demolition Girl / Live at the Hope and Anchor
13. Cramps - Human Fly / single
14. White Boy - I Could Puke (1st single 1977) / single
15. The Penetrators - The Break / :30 Over DC
16. Bad Brains - Pay To Cum / Banned In D.C.: Bad Brains Greatest Riffs
17. The Untouchables - I Hate You / Flex Your Head
18. Weirdos - A Life Of Crime / Destroy All Music
19. Trouble Funk - Pump Me Up / Singles
20. Teen Idles - Trans AM / Dischord 100
21. Rozzlyn Rangers - Rozzlyn Rangers / 20 Years Of Dischord
22. Minor Threat - Stand Up / Flex Your Head
23. Minor Threat - Stepping Stone / Complete Discography
24. Minor Threat - Salad Days / Complete Discography
25. The Snakes - License To Fish / I Won't Love You (Til You're More Like Me)
26. Egg Hunt - We All Fall Down / Egg Hunt
27. Rites Of Spring - Drink Deep / Rites Of Spring
28. Embrace - Dance Of Days / Embrace
29. Embrace - Past / Embrace
30. Fugazi - Break-In / Peel Session 12-11-88
31. Fugazi - Waiting Room / Peel Session 12-11-88
32. Fugazi - Merchandise / Peel Session 12-11-88
33. Fugazi - Glue Man / Peel Session 12-11-88
34. The Evens - Around The Corner / The Evens
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.