Fanatics: Great Music, Great Alliances
RADIO BROADCAST #276
Fanatics! We are happy and excited to bring you this tremendous batch of tunes for your great enjoyment.
I have been in hot weather for weeks and while it makes some of the work environments a bit much, for the most part, I have been enjoying the warm nights.
It was crazy but we had three days off a few days ago. Some things moved around and all of a sudden we were loose for 72 hours. I took a train to Washington DC to hang out with Ian MacKaye and do as much walking around as I could. Such a great time. To have that amount of time without having to be somewhere and do things at the right time is unfamiliar to me and I really enjoyed it. When he and I get together, we talk for literally hours. We have a friendship of over 40 years, it’s an amazing thing. As you can perhaps imagine, we talk about music a lot. Ian is a true music fan. He makes it, produces it, reads, listens, deconstructs and lives in the world of music. He is always a source of great suggestions. I always look at the records he has closest to his record player whenever I am at this house. This time around, it was a Pagans LP called What’s This Shit? 1977/1979. Looked very interesting. I found a copy and will report to you when I get it. The tracklisting looks great.
July 14th, 1980, Malcolm Owen, vocalist of the Ruts, died of an overdose. As you know, Fanatic, we listen to a lot of Ruts on this show. Always have and always will. This sad anniversary is the day after this show, so we have to make note. If you get a chance on the 14th, please play some Ruts music and if at all possible, turn someone else onto the band. Let’s keep this thing going. This is how we are finishing the show, so hopefully, you will carry on with your Ruts jams. I have been lucky enough to have met three of the four members and they are and were tremendous guys.
Got an email from one of my favorite guitar players of all time, Nicky Garratt of the UK Subs. He has a new record coming out and has sent it our way. We will get that on the show as soon as possible.
Stephen O’Malley, total music monster, prolific and ALWAYS worth checking out, wrote a few days ago. He is one of the people on the Sunn 0))) / Scott Walker collaboration. He says it’s an interesting record. We will get that one to you as soon as it’s possible.
As I listed last week, there is so much great music coming up, we’ll just have to lose a little sleep to get it played. Always worth it.
Great music, great alliances. We have an excellent thing going on here. I hope you enjoy the show.
Stay cool and STAY FANATIC!!!
See Henry's playlist on the next page...
Like us on Facebook at LAWeeklyMusic
01. Dara Puspita - Bertamasja (On Vacation) / 1966-1968
02. Jay Reatard - Blood Visions / Blood Visions
03. Flamingos - I Only Have Eyes For You / The Best Of Doo Wop Ballad
04. Hanoi Rocks - Up Around The Bend / Two Steps From The Move
05. UK Subs - You Can't Take It Any More / Brand New Age
06. X Ray Spex - I Live Off You / Germ Free Adolescents
07. Melvins - Set Me Straight / Houdini
08. Roky Erickson - I'm A Demon / Gremlins Have Pictures
09. The Prids - The Problem / Love Zero
10. Chihei Hatakeyama - White Light / A Long Journey
11. Alice in Chains - Them Bones / Dirt
12. Bobby Byrd - Hot Pants - I'm Coming / Bobby Byrd Got Soul: The Best Of
13. Estil C. Ball - Pretty Polly / Southern Journey Vol. 1
14. The Gun Club – Desire / Lucky Jim
15. Brian Eno - The Great Pretender / Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy
16. Hawkwind - Ten Seconds Of Forever / Space Ritual
17. Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - I'm The Urban Spaceman / Tadpoles
18. Tangerine Dream - Ultima Thule Part One / Alpha Centauri
19. Team Doyobi - Summit Melody / Choose Your Own Adventure
20. Honest Marquee - Not Even You / Honest Marquee
21. hollAnd - Tumbleweeds Down Waverly / Sodium Fawn
01. Einstürzende Neubauten – Sehnsucht / Halber Mensch
02. Hisato Higuchi - Cry Baby Flowers / Butterfly Horse Street
03. Sam Cooke - Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen / Sam Cooke’s Night Beat
04. The Litter - Action Woman / Trash Box
05. Thee Oh Sees - Goodbye Baby / Putrifers II
06. Rondelles - Boy I Know / The Fox
07. Unrest - Can't Sit Still / Malcolm X Park
08. Pseudo Existors 0 Coming Up For Air / Stamp out Normaility
09. Slim Gailllard - Slim's Jam / Slim’s Jam
10. Robert Calvert - Ejection (single version) / Captain Lockheed & The Starfighters
11. Blue Cheer - Summertime Blues / Vincebus Eruptum
12. Charley Lincoln & Willie Bake - Jealous Hearted Blues / (1927-1930)
13. The Ruts - Babylon's Burning / Punk Singles Collection
14. The Ruts - Savage Circl / The Crack
15. The Ruts - Staring At The Rude Boys / Punk Singles Collection
16. The Ruts - West One (Shine On Me) / Punk Singles Collection
17. The Ruts - It Was Cold / The Crack
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.
More Music News
- Hear L.A. Doom-Metalers Ancient Altar's Bleak, Majestic Dead Earth (PREMIERE)
Tue., Sep. 1, 10:30pm
Wed., Sep. 2, 7:00pm
Wed., Sep. 2, 7:30pm
Wed., Sep. 2, 9:00pm
- La Santa Cecilia Finds Success Repping L.A's Cultural Hodgepodge
- A Year After the Death of Bassist Ventura XIII, Black Lodge Returns (PREMIERE)